Thread: virus/spyware scans

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    i was told that i should do my virus/spyware scans in 'safe mode' (for windows) i dont know why can someone explain why i should be doing this and whether it is good or bad for my pc in doing it in 'safe mode'? thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    It is often necessary to perform a scan from Safe Mode to remove Spyware or Trojan infections that are constantly running in the background, and therefore protected by Windows from deletion. In other words, if you try to get rid of these unwanted files from Normal Mode, they will not be deleted EVEN IF Windows appears to have removed them – Windows simply refuses to delete any file it believes to be currently in use. By booting your pc in Safe Mode, only core Windows functions start, so the Trojan or Spyware will not be protected.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Then again, most anti-malware products offer complete removal on the next boot if it cannot be achieved during the running session.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why do think you have a virus ? Safemode is more for removing trojans and malware as both blackbird and chew have suggested . Not complete removal that would require many reboots and rescans .

Its like putting a midget mechanic in your trunk and driving around the block because your tailpipe's rattling . What problem do you have ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Sorry, you still don't have a definitive answer...

If you don't use your computer a lot, do it in Safe Mode; if you use it more than a little, do it in Windows proper.
    There is little to be gained from booting into Safe Mode other than that an AV may find it easier to get rid of something really stubborn. A competent AV (take that to mean not AVG, Panda or McAffee ampngst others) will be perfectly capable of removing 99.9% of malware it finds from within Windows proper.

I only boot into Safe Mode when I can't get into Windows proper and I can't remember the last time I did so on one of my PCs.
    That said, I also don't feel the need to format & install every couple of months like some; only when I install a new system HDD.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    hey thanks chewie that helped alot, thanks for that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    keymaster2's Avatar Member
    download avast ,then when it has finished installing it will ask you would you like to sceduel a boot scan...... say yes now restart

this will do a great scan before any virus have a chance to start up .

if it does find a virus or trojan ,i would recomend to send all to the chest ,,,,,