Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: antitrade groups are rediculous

Kirstein's Avatar torrent lover BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by sina1260 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirstein View Post

Speedtest and ratio proof only tells you so much, it doesn't tell you if a person is going to trade away the invite after he/she receives it. If you give an invite away you should get to know the person or a least check the persons history to make sure they haven't traded. That way it'll be safer for both the tracker and you to give it away.
    and by that you're also going to find out if the guy is a cheater?
    Look, all I'm saying is that it's by far the safest for all parties involved not to make any trades and know the person or at least find out as much as you can about a person before inviting them.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    limpdickkid's Avatar Free Ringdings rule BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    What do you mean you put in time/bandwidth/etc in trackers to get invites only. Thats just stupid. If the only thing you're working towards is getting an invite then you need to get a life. The only reason I'm on private trackers is for content and/or community. Invites are just a perk, which you should only give to people you know for a long time. I learned this the hard way.
    Search RS: Click
    To get the latest scene releases on RS with good pre-times goto: http://www.rslinks.org/
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2
    For an organised list of NZB searching and indexing sites go here -> Click Me...4 N.Z.B. ...it rhymes
    For latest goals goto: www.101greatgoals.com
    To stream sports goto www.myp2p.eu

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    lingo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    I traded a lot of invites/accounts in the past and I got scammed a couple of times when trying to trade higher level accounts. I don't trade accounts anymore.

People annoy me when they try to trade invites/accounts they won in giveaways. This is when I become mad and declare war for the ungrateful biatches.
    Last edited by lingo; 10-16-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    army now... //

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by limpdickkid View Post
    What do you mean you put in time/bandwidth/etc in trackers to get invites only. Thats just stupid. If the only thing you're working towards is getting an invite then you need to get a life. The only reason I'm on private trackers is for content and/or community. Invites are just a perk, which you should only give to people you know for a long time. I learned this the hard way.
    it means that you have worked hard to get a tracker and also to get the invite(s). and sometimes you want something which takes even more time to get it, so instead you would trade. you have worked and you also want a benefit from it right? (except getting into the tracker)

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Interesting arguments and counters...

A little bit of history here...

Way back in the dark days before cheat clients and MPAA, when things were simple, and condoms were optional, all trackers had open door policies, where you signed up at the front door.

Of course, things changed. SuprNova took a dive, then UK-Fileshare was killed off (by a selfish person who didn't want to go to jail), as was LokiTorrents, then UK-Torrents was dismantled, causing massive grief to those in charge (financial and emotional), culminating finally in the unethical take down of Elite Torrents, who up to this point had been getting extremely fat on all the other displaced members.

Now, suffice to say, tracker staff were becoming somewhat wary. Seeing Scott (sk0t) McCauseland landing a prison sentence for airing a third rate copy of a workprint, as well as the financial ruin of many others, was a reality jolt, and the decision was taken to make communities invite only.

Now, there are good and bad sides to each coin. While only allowing invites means you don't have all and sundry signing up, it also has the negative effect of creating a vacuum, where accounts become prized.

In any area where a commodity becomes valued, such as gold and precious metals/gems, the worth of the item often exceeds the actual worth. In the case of torrent communities, we have already seen invites and accounts being sold on eBay.

In many ways, the WIAW thread was created by tracker admin who decided from the offset that trackers would be limited membership. While tracker staff complain about invite and, more importantly, account trading, this monster is actually a product of their decision to close the doors.

Is the action of closing the doors right or wrong? From the tracker standpoint, it is right. After all, no one wants to tempt fate by allowing Media Defender employees free access to the peers list.

On the flip side, there are too many people desiring those trackers, which creates an interest, which in itself can become unhealthy.

As for trade or anti-trade groups, each to their own. They both have merit, if conducted with decorum. It is only when things get out of hand that it becomes an issue.

It's no different from the original anti-p2p group, who were a bunch of sceners who did not want their files released onto torrent servers. Ironically, the actual push for this group came from within the Media companies, who thought if they could influence part of the scene to blocking p2p, then they could get this anti-p2p group to do their dirty work for them, and stop content reaching the masses. Of course, the scene is made of many members, and a few of them realised the truth, and thwarted the attempts to bring down numerous torrent communities.

Each to their own, but tolerate they neighbour.
    Last edited by TheFoX; 10-13-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typos

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Quote Originally Posted by lingo View Post

People annoy me when they try to trade invites/accounts they won in giveaways. This is when I become mad and declare war for the ungrateful biatches.
    True. it annoys me too.
    if you trade and never retrade the account again then its fine

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor
    A Redilicious Pro-Anti-antitrade group, where do I sing up?
    R u serios? U canot b serios.

Seriously, anti-traders are just defending the interests and the integrity of the tracker.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    thank you MrFox
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by limpdickkid View Post
    who said "only". learn to read
    you haven't learned anything yet

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor
    A Redilicious Pro-Anti-antitrade group, where do I sing up?

What MrFox said was very eloquent, reasonable and very out of place for the BitTorrent section.....Your gonna give someone concussion with all that sense MrFox....seriously though, some good points well made...I'd leave it at that....
    Last edited by benchez; 10-13-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    Now go away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast