Thread: newsgroups?

sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I have been reading alot about this newsgroup stuff i dont understand one word of it retention times different file types usenet clients not needing to shareing lot of other crap to go with it seems a nightmare to me.

could anybody explain to me what it is all about and what is the best place to join as i understand most isps give free access to join their groups to current suscribers of their internet.

This is the guide i have been trying to understand http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    The slyck guide is probably the best there is if a little dated. All I can say to make it real simple download newsreader altbinz. Forget about ISP newsreaders buy a premium service such as giganews you will not go wrong there. Enter your account details into altbinz then hop over to the nzb section of this forum. Download the nzb extract winzip/rar and load with altbinz. Easy as 123 if you ask me.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    i must be stupid you make it sound so simple

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Here's a guide on Alt.Binz:

http://usenetfreak.com/usenet-guide-2/

This programs unpacks all the rar files (after checking them with PAR2 files) so you don't have to do it manually. It can automatically grab NZBs from a folder you download the NZB files to.

If you sign up @ Giganews or some other NG provider, follow this guide and downloads some NZBs from here you should be fine. Otherwise, just ask.

You get 10GB free @ Giganews you might wanna try to test things out. You have to "cancel" the account before a new period starts if you don't want to pay.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 10-14-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I won't automatically say forget about the news server provided by the ISP, because I've seen people regret paying Newshosting for a year when they just discovered their ISP has been outsourcing newsgroups to Newshosting for that long.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    i give this guide a look tomorow and let you know how it turns out. did you say giganews give a free trail of 10 GBS? do they need any finacial details in order to gain this 10GB?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    i give this guide a look tomorow and let you know how it turns out. did you say giganews give a free trail of 10 GBS? do they need any finacial details in order to gain this 10GB?
    You need a credit card.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    You need a credit card.

Are they safe i suppose they are lots of people use them. i was wondering is it easy for cancellation process they don't just keep taking money you click cancel and it's finished?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9

You need a credit card.

Are they safe i suppose they are lots of people use them. i was wondering is it easy for cancellation process they don't just keep taking money you click cancel and it's finished?
    Used them more more than 2 years and never had a problem with them. Also used a test account first and canceled after 2.5 days without any problem.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10

Used them more more than 2 years and never had a problem with them. Also used a test account first and canceled after 2.5 days without any problem.
    That's good to know thanks