Thread: this german think marriage should expire

snowultra's Avatar Member
    i completely agree, it doesnt work anymore.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Bavaria's most glamorous politician -- a flame-haired motorcyclist who helped bring down state premier Edmund Stoiber -- has shocked the Catholic state in Germany by suggesting marriage should last just 7 years.

Gabriele Pauli, who poses on her web site in motorcycle leathers, is standing for the leadership of Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU) -- sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) -- in a vote next week.

She told reporters at the launch of her campaign manifesto on Wednesday she wanted marriage to expire after seven years and accused the CSU, which promotes traditional family values, of nurturing ideals of marriage which are wide of the mark.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," she told reporters. "My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."

After that time, couples should either agree to extend their marriage or it should be automatically dissolved, she said.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Silly.

It "doesn't work anymore" because people don't believe in the sanctity of it anymore.

I recently attended my grandparents 65th wedding anniversary last month, and my parents will have a 40th in 3 years I believe.

Marriage certainly works if you work at it. There are plenty of folks who work things out still, instead of tucking tail and running.

I also chalk a bit of it up to women having a very different place in the world than they did throughout the rest of history. Women are very independent in todays world and no longer depend on a husband to care for them.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    well that is what he is saying that every 7 years. you either choose to renew your marriage or get seperated.
    that way you dont have to stay together, but you can if you want.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Temporary marriages defeats the whole purpose in getting married though.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by snowultra View Post
    i completely agree, it doesnt work anymore.
    Don't do it in the first place if it isn't for you.

That was hard.

Anyways, don't associate your own shortcumings to other people. Makes you look like a douche.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 10-23-2007 at 03:19 AM. Reason: idiot/douche
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I am not sure about the 7 year thingy. There may be children to consider.
    What about an M.O.T. for your partner? Every 3 years or so.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    They should really force people to consider that marriage is something a bit more than a slap up meal, some snazzy photos, a load of prezzies and an exotic holiday before they let people do it in the first place.

Marriage is and should be a lifelong commitment.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    what the fuck they expect to do with outcome of that marriage, they cant just separate children's from parents because some nut case say so, what they think they can divide thier children's between mother and father or what, yeh "you bob can go with mommy and you sara can come with me ill introduce you to your new mommy but not before i get one".
    his suggesting animal mating nature for mankind, his out of his mind or what.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    They would also have to apply this to tax laws in relation to marriage benefits.