Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The RIAA Attacks Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    so could the riaa then go after individual downloaders?? or would it be the actual provider i.e. giganews or usenet.com?
    RIAA have no way of seeing what you download because the connection is between you and your Usenet provider. However, when you use torrents; you are connected to a peered network where your IP is visible to everyone. Secondly, Usenet providers are not interested in what you download. They only keep logs of how much bandwidth you use per your quota account. So RIAA cannot force a Usenet provider to cough up logs of you downloading a copyrighted movie.

2. News (Archive)   -   #22
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    so could the riaa then go after individual downloaders?? or would it be the actual provider i.e. giganews or usenet.com?
    yeah, they'd have to go after the provider. If successful with their pursuits of the provider, they could be given the right to demand logging of users activity and the submission of those logs upon subpoena.

3. News (Archive)   -   #23
    ok i see, so if they could then demand download logs could they then prosecute people who download off of the network even if they aren't uploading??

4. News (Archive)   -   #24
    smoove_gg
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    yeah, they'd have to go after the provider. If successful with their pursuits of the provider, they could be given the right to demand logging of users activity and the submission of those logs upon subpoena.
    Yeah but at what suspicion?
    How can they attack single users when the connection is only you and your newsgroup server? It would be like the police randomly kicking in your door because they suspect drugs in your 10 block radius. I doubt providers log specific file users download.
    Last edited by smoove_gg; 11-06-2007 at 05:57 AM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #25
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by smoove_gg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Yeah but at what suspicion?
    How can they attack single users when the connection is only you and your newsgroup server? It would be like the police randomly kicking in your door because they suspect drugs in your 10 block radius. I doubt providers log specific file users download.
    well, they can easily see that content is being uploaded every minute of the day (http://binsearch.info/). Seeing one of their copyrighted works being uploaded would give them cause to demand the uploader's identity.

I'd suspect that only the uploaders would be at risk, but without the uploaders of illegal content, there would be few downloaders period and newsgroup providers would suffer. Usenet providers can play dumb all they like, but they know from where their profits are coming.

6. News (Archive)   -   #26
    fuck riaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123