Thread: Which version of Kaspersky Internet Suite to use with WinXP?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    so, i just did a fresh OS install and have yet to install a software firewall. i'm installing KIS so i don't need to hear other kinds of firewalls. which version of KIS is stable and gets the job done? i currently have version 6 and it did great. i could install that one again, but if 7 is good (or whatever is out) i mite try it. if there is no difference then why should i bother?
    Last edited by mr. nails; 10-19-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: cleaned up post.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Go for v7. I have v6 on this system (AMD64X2 5200+, 2GB, XPSP2) and only know it's there when it pops up a balloon.
    On my test rig (Thoroughbred XP1700+, 512MB, XPSP2) I've installed v7 and although it takes some resources at boot (scanning startup items), it doesn't seem to impact the system otherwise.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    I have v6 on this system and only know it's there when it pops up a balloon.
    maybe i'm missing something. isn't that how u know something is going on u should be aware of though? what does v7 do? it sits quietly and u just "hope" it's doing something? i'm asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie
    On my test rig I've installed v7 and although it takes some resources at boot (scanning startup items), it doesn't seem to impact the system otherwise.
    takes up my resources as bad as zone alarm does? ZA is REALLY bad @ hogging system resources.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    KIS 7.0's predecessor, KIS 6.0, had a few gaps in its armoury which have been put right in the new version ! privacy control sees an improvement: the Windows Protected Storage area (where things such as email passwords are rather feebly protected) is now monitored for suspicious activity !
    it also continues in the footsteps of its predecessor by having a relatively light resource footprint !
    first time you run a virus scan, KIS 7.0 will be quite slow ! but thereafter it checks only files that have changed, noticeably speeding up the process – it can take as little as 8 minutes to scan an 80GB drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    seems nice. thank u.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Use one that has a non blacklisted key . I tease as it is the "Best " Security Suite but very hard to crack . To be brutally honest , I don't pay for programs I d/l of the web and have thought about just paying the price to get a good key .

I checked the site and thought , your fucking kidding me ! $ 80 .00 can. for two computers ?

Like that will happen .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Ime KIS6 is great. But KIS7 is better. So I agree with peat.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yeah, can't seem to find a key that's not blacklisted. guess i'll stick with kis6.
    Alamo Drafthouse!