Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disapearing space!

Unsure

Hey guys, not really a software question but I figured you guys would probably know best.
    My boot drive seems to be mysteriously losing space at a steady rate. I have no spyware or viruses, and have a fairly fresh copy of Vista Ultimate installed.
    I keep all my media files and download folder on a separate disk drive, so it's not downloads that's causing the problem.
    I am talking about losing probably around 1gb of space a day, and disk cleanup comes back with maybe 100mb of temp files, so it's not that either.
    Also when I select everything in my boot drive, it shows about 13gb short of what the disk properties say.
    So where/what are these hidden files that are taking up so much space?? and randomly multiplying at the rate of young rabbits....

Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Open Internet Explorer and cleanup your temp directories.

Oh yea. And get a better firewall so I won't keep storing my xvid gay pron on your system.

"Dude, where's my rar?"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My you are brilliant, I clearly said that I ran diskcleanup with no real change, and that it was a pretty recent OS install.
    Anybody with a logical answer?

and PS: IE is for suckers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Have you tried a simple program like Ccleaner or Tuneup 2007 to delete the temp , cache , Zero bit files , cookies ........ I could go on all night . Thats what I would try ,use a good system cleaner see what you get .

If you try either one it has a Regleaner as well or the Tuneup has a Disk Doctor that may help you . Good luck .

Just a thought but disable or uncheck the index this drive for faster search option as it may speed up your computer a wee bit . Its the option under compress this drive to save space .
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-19-2007 at 01:55 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks Peat Moss, havn't heard from you in a while.
    I tried tuneup 2007 and it freed up all of 32mb

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiweiler View Post
    Thanks Peat Moss, havn't heard from you in a while.
    I tried tuneup 2007 and it freed up all of 32mb

Oh good was it a Registry problem or just the clean tool sorted it ? I luv these kind of posts tho, as its nice to help people help them selves . Soooo you need the Tuneup 2007 key .

Oh shit I just got it , so not all the space eh ? Have you tried a file tool like Tree to see whats taking up all the space ?

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-19-2007 at 02:35 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    haha no, 32mb was not the result I was hoping for lol
    I ran the registry cleaner, defrag, and optimizer in tuneup2007.
    I'll check out that Tree program

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Others computer troubles are much more interesting than my own , as I would of Formated ( again ) and done a fresh install , problem solved . Hey thats the easy way out tho .

I don't know what to add Kai , hope you get it sorted .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Hmm still not recognizing about 7gb of data...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    goto the command prompt and type the following

Code:
    cacls c:\system~1 /e /g UserName:f
    replacing "UserName" with your account name (IE. Bill)

That will give you access to System Volume Information

I'm betting that's where the space is being taken up. If I'm right, you'll see some several GB files which are used for system restore and. My advice is to limit how much space is allocated to system restore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast