Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seedboxes over Usenet?

I don't quite understand why people are willing to spend $100/month or more on seed boxes when you can use Usenet for low as $14/month. I understand the torrents have better release times...At what costs though? I would think Usenet would be more appealing…No ratio system or your IP displayed to the public.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    well, i agree 100$ a month is big for a seedbox, and i wouldn't pay that much anymore

but if you want to buffer all your BT accounts nicely, you only need like 2 months at this cost and that's it, you can leech for a year or two.

on usenet, you will pay every month to have access to content, which isn't the case of BT trackers

i feel more safe using BT than usenet also, now one can tracks everything i leech with it (a bad luck can occur on some unsafe trackers where MPAA gets my IP i know...!)
    But the usenet provider knows exactly what you leeched over the past months and i don't like this perspective at all

hope this helps
    Last edited by KFlint; 10-19-2007 at 08:08 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Off topic: thats why global ratio only doesnt work imo, get a buffer then free leech for ages after that.

On Topic: its all about pre times and looking good, and getting into the scene so to speak.

you have a sb, another ul sees you uploading at 12mbs on one of his torrents to help him out, he then pms you and invites you to a topsite with FTP Axx (very rarely happens but it could).

its not what you know its who you know to get anywhere at all in the game.

also NG can be realy slow on new releases. usually 3-6 hours after pre, or even days in some cases.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Majority of the Usenet providers claim they only track how much bandwidth you've used. Secondly, people can't wait 3 hours for a release?! I mean $100 to save 3 hours...It just seems odd to me. That's an interesting point stoi. I can see BT being an ego thing for people - "I have access to such & such site. I upload x50 more than I download, I have access to torrents before anyone else."
    Last edited by start; 10-19-2007 at 08:23 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Off topic: thats why global ratio only doesnt work imo, get a buffer then free leech for ages after that.
    when i mean leech, i don't mean hit and run, don't get wrong

i just mean that you don't have to worry getting a ratio of 100% as long as you share it long enough on your home connection, which most of the time as an upload speed slow as hell which often doesn't even allow you to seed back to 100% on many trackers (SCT and bitmetv for example)

i'd rather pay for a seedbox for a couple of months than buying upload credits from these sites, which is a concept i don't like

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well at blackcats we are trying to change that.

its going slowly but we will get there in the end.

We also took off upload credits for donations as well, granted we did have them and it kept us in business for awhile, but i always felt it was wrong.

they may come back, but only on special occasions, like xmas or something.

not sure if your a member of blackcats or not, if yes you will know all this, if not you probably couldnt give a damn lol

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    KFlint, you seem to be a knowledgeable fellow when it comes to seed boxes and bittorrent, but you're biting off more than you can chew here.

start, first off, if you want bit of an unbiased view, post this in the File Sharing section and not the Bittorrent section. 99.9% of browsers in this section have never even used newsgroups in any shape, so their opinions are speculative.

Heck, post it in the newsgroups section even. At least those users have experimented with both.

Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    "but if you want to buffer all your BT accounts nicely, you only need like 2 months at this cost and that's it, you can leech for a year or two. on usenet, you will pay every month to have access to content, which isn't the case of BT trackers"
    Not true at all.

Many ISP's (including mine) offer a news service free of charge. Others still offer free of charge and actually outsource the servers to a third party group such as Newshosting.

As for buffering accounts with private trackers, you still seem to be missing the some of the greatness of newsgroups. Why pay to buffer an account when you can have access to the same content for free (possibly) and never even need to do any of that uploading? Silly, really.

Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    i feel more safe using BT than usenet also, now one can tracks everything i leech with it (a bad luck can occur on some unsafe trackers where MPAA gets my IP i know...!)
    But the usenet provider knows exactly what you leeched over the past months and i don't like this perspective at all
    Again, untrue.

If you feel safer utilizing bittorrent methods, you really need to do some reading.

It's rather simple to see what IP's are connecting though any bittorrent client. Even when masking that IP, that only covers what information is seen, not what information is accessible. When you're downloading from another user, your IP address is very easy to obtain.

You also cannot be caught downloading as providers don't retain records of what you're downloading. It's above and beyond bittorrent in terms of safety. Fact.

Newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using AltBinz and Newzbin I have 100+ days of content to download* and 200+ days with Giganews, all at max speeds which downloads, fixes, and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides approximately 120,000+ posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is maybe about 10,000.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

There's no contest really.

also NG can be realy slow on new releases. usually 3-6 hours after pre, or even days in some cases.
    3-6 hours.

Uploads also beat private trackers at times as well.
    Last edited by Skizo; 10-19-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    well skizo, i clearly see that you prefer using newsgroups and i admit that i don't have much knowledge about newsgroups

my ISP, as well as many ISP i'm sure, doesn't have binairies content on his newsgroups service. which would force me to pay each and every month to get access to content, which is pretty much the same as paying for FTP axx, but way cheaper i admit

as for the security, i'm referring to some articles that i read recently when i decided i could give newsgroups a try for a month or two to see if i like it. the sources might have been wrong, but i was worried of using newsgroups. Usenet providers say they don't keep history of any activity you did, then fine if it's true... but how can i be 100% sure it is?

only my opinion here, i'm not god almighty

well at blackcats we are trying to change that.

its going slowly but we will get there in the end.

We also took off upload credits for donations as well, granted we did have them and it kept us in business for awhile, but i always felt it was wrong.

they may come back, but only on special occasions, like xmas or something.

not sure if your a member of blackcats or not, if yes you will know all this, if not you probably couldnt give a damn lol
    i'm a member of blackcats, my first tracker membership was there, great site to get older release stuff which you can't just find them anywhere else most of the time

i'm glad you remove the credits for donations thingy also, it's safer for everybody i believe

i've donated in the past to BC and i never wanted anything in return
    Last edited by KFlint; 10-19-2007 at 09:05 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    depends what your after for pre times.

Ive been using newsgroups for years, just after i started torrenting, now my tracker is only for games, so thats all i specialize in, im not realy bothered about pre times for anything else, i will grab them when i want to grab them.

when i first started the tracker, i used to get games up on suprnova 1st and that was from NG.

Now though with a few of our members having seedboxes (i have 3 for the tracker, but i would never use them to seed, far to risky imo) and FTP axx its very rarely anyone can beat them, so much so ive actually gave up on the hunt for new, fast games, and i just dl them from NG when feel like it.

but most new games are on our tracker a good 1-2 hours, if not a lot more, than NG, and yes i have giganews so its not just a crappy ISP NG i have.

Music/Movies/TV/Apps/etc etc might be a lot different though.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    From a legal point of view, using BT (and seedboxes for that matter) present a higher risk than downloading from the Usenet. It's not about BT-trackers that aren't secure/infiltrated but rather about your own actions: by being member at any tracker you'll participate with sharing, by using a newsgroup-client you only download what's available.

One giant advantage of newsgroups is the certainty of availability and speed. You can download any release from now to 3+ months (Giganews 6+) from now with your maximum speed. That's a service bittorrent trackers cannot compete with. Usenet providers had shorter retention times in the past years but with the current upgrades you can have full access to an archive of over half a year of scene and non-scene releases.

There are of course advantages of using torrents: you have the choice between many smaller and larger communities and some of them are specialized and surpass any other alternatives with their awsomeness. That's true for music, movies, games, applications and not so common things like e-learning.

The way I see it, most seedboxes are investions in the future like KFlint already said to support your tracker accounts. Usenet providers know no ratio and most of them have flat-access anyway. I'm using the Usenet and download about 2/3 through it, that are likely to be 100-250gb of traffic per month which I don't need to seed back anymore. I use that bandwidth in other ways now and the 10 € for my Usenet provider are worth it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast