Thread: Tracker Life

How come most trackers are new, only a few years old? Why not 5,10 year old trackers?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    beat's Avatar Square BT Rep: +4
    Maybe because the bittorrent protocol is kind of new, and the idea of private trackers is even newer.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    The BT protocol was created back in 2001 and if Alexa is to be believed, many public torrent trackers have only been online for a couple of years:

suprnova (Online Since: 04-Apr-2003)
    torrentspy (Online Since: 24-Sep-2003)
    torrentreactor (Online Since: 20-Oct-2003)
    lokitorrent (Online Since: 24-Feb-2004)
    thepiratebay (Online Since: 28-Jun-2004)
    mininova (Online Since: 18-Jan-2005)

Those values aren't so far from the oldest private trackers anymore.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    It is because internet connection are very limited in those years and it is very slow compare to now...
    Thats why there will more trackers to come.... as internet become more and more popular in all the country more people will use torrents in the future....
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    davidw89's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    yep..and as seedbox becomes cheaper and cheaper!!!!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    sovaz's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    N not to forget tat the php language became very popular only a couple of years ago...tats when big trackers like TL and TB were born.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by sovaz View Post
    N not to forget tat the php language became very popular only a couple of years ago...tats when big trackers like TL and TB were born.
    PHP has actually been very popular as the language of choice for the hobby coder even before 2000 (Version 3). I should know, since I had been learning the language back then before Zend or PHP4 was ever thought of. The hype only grew bigger with the official 4.0 release in May 2000.

While you're right that any tracker software I know of is written in PHP (at least the publicly available ones) your sequence of events is a bit mixed up

I think the delay between the introduction of the bittorrent protocol/software and the first private trackers can be easily explained by development delays. That goes for both clients and tracker scripts because the original BT client wasn't really comfortable to use in a multi-torrent environment.