Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omfg, Help

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post

Owned..how the fuck would a mobo fall off of the mounts?
    Because I had 4 feeble PLASTIC risers, that had undergone about 2 years of brutal abuse. (moved around for LANs, tossed around in cars) One of them had the round edges wore out and the rest of them just popped out of their place.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do.

Seedler, you're reputedly a smart boy so what do you mean "wtf do I do"?
    The motherboard is probably fried and the rest of the stuff (assuming it's the same vintage as the CPU) is junk as well.

Replace the machine.
    Yah, I was hoping that maybe I could salvage some parts? The HDD, optical drives most likely, but would the CPU/RAM/Gfx card *maybe* survive? Because I don't have another socket 939 mobo lying around to test the parts

Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler
    So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do
    well 1st thing you can do is remove your sig
    Indeed, I got wtfpwnt.

Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    I don't see how it can just fall off.
    Surely the video card, which is screwed into the case, would hold it in place?
    Eh, wtf? The video card is supposed to be screwed into the case?

I just have it fixed into my mobo hanging. And the monitor DVI cable thingy plugged into it.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Eh, wtf? The video card is supposed to be screwed into the case?
    Yeah, it is.

BTW, I had misread your first post and didn't realize that you had s939 stuff.
    Worth keeping, if possible.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Nice pic

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Yah, I was hoping that maybe I could salvage some parts? The HDD, optical drives most likely, but would the CPU/RAM/Gfx card *maybe* survive? Because I don't have another socket 939 mobo lying around to test the parts
    if you had an spare pc you could have check all parts your self but since you have a laptop you can take it to any retailers and have them checked, dont tell them you intend to buy new parts cuz then they will most probably tell you what you dont want to hear.
    just check whether mobo is giving any light, most of mobo's have a green light in them to confirm that power is reaching, if you see one on then its not PS problem nor mobo(atleast hardware wise).
    just check whether any parts are loosen, something m8 came out of their place, just try to re-attach all major parts(ram, cpu and vga).

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    if you had an spare pc you could have check all parts your self but since you have a laptop you can take it to any retailers and have them checked, dont tell them you intend to buy new parts cuz then they will most probably tell you what you dont want to hear.
    just check whether mobo is giving any light, most of mobo's have a green light in them to confirm that power is reaching, if you see one on then its not PS problem nor mobo(atleast hardware wise).
    just check whether any parts are loosen, something m8 came out of their place, just try to re-attach all major parts(ram, cpu and vga).
    Eh thx, the mobo is dead I'm pretty sure, I'm just trying to save the CPU/ram/gfx card. Taking the stuff to a friend's of a friend's house and testing each individual part.

After prolly getting a new PC for Xmas.

And why is socket 939 stuff worth keeping?

PS thx for that pic me guess clocker, next time I'll use screws.

LESSON LEARNED: BUY A GOOD COMP CASE WITH GOOD METALLIC MOBO RISERS PEOPLE, CHEAP OUT NOW AND CRY LATER
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Sell it on craigslist, you'll probably find some buyers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Because it still works quite well and allows for the use of much of the newest stuff (i.e.SATA and PCI-e video).
    IMO, the s939 processors coupled with a nForce4 chipset will be remembered as one of the great platforms and even now, despite being overshadowed by the Intel Core series (and the eighty gazzillion chipsets that support it), it still does most things quickly enough for the home user.

Hell, right now is s939 bottomfeeders paradise.
    I've seen chips like the Opteron 180 that I paid $300 for (used!) a year and a half/ two years ago going for under $50 on forums.
    Regular DDR is almost a throwaway since nothing supports it anymore.

So...if it's just your motherboard that died, yeah, s939 is worth keeping alive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    @Appzalien...
    A motherboard mysteriously falls from it's mounts and grounds on the case- the PC dies and your first impulse is to open up the power supply?

hmm.
    Yes, a major short to ground and no power steers me to powersupply fuse.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Yes, a major short to ground and no power steers me to powersupply fuse.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a PSU with a replaceable fuse.
    It's very possible that the supply is dead but I'd wager that it's almost a certainty that the motherboard went first and (maybe) took the PSU with it.

Time (and presumably, Seedler) will tell.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Not so, not with a direct short to the case. Unless a specific short occurs that redirects say 12volts to a 3 volt area of the mobo there should be no damage to the board unless its physical (from the fall) there is no 120volt ac to the board remember. Your right about the replaceable fuse, at least as in from the outside. Thats why I told him how to get inside. When you send a supply thats dead in for repair or replacement what do you think they do? they open it up and change the fuse (it is replaceable, its in one of those pop out clamp type holders inside the unit. Some have more than one fuse in there).

Actually the first thing I would do is check the supply with a meter but I figured if the guy hasn't a clue he hasn't a meter either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast