Thread: How do you know if your ISP is throttling BT traffic?

I changed ISPs almost a year ago now to be able to get a fiber optic connection. AFter configuring the router and the ISP's own "firewall" called Netbarrier, I was downloading often at 2MB and ULing at 1MB. About 6 mths ago my max DL and UL speeds dropped to about a total of 100-150kB no matter if I'm DLing 1 or more torrents from the same or various trackers both public and private.

I have started using a new PC with UTorrent, but the same issue continues so it's not hardware issue. My ports are connectable and forwarded throught my router, personal firewall, anti-virus and the ISP's "firewall." I've tried Azureus as well and I get the same results. I have always used encryption, but turning it off doesn't help either. My speed settings are appropriate (I'm supposed to have a 100MB connection that is really around 80MB, but even my slowest speed test was around 20MB. I'm considering switching ISPs to see if that helps.

I'm using Plala in JP, and some other users believe they're being throttled. How can I be sure if my ISP is throttling my BT traffic?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Elite BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I found that my previous ISP was denying to connect to tracker in some hours, then I switched over, I saw it via azureus with connection error, while via proxy the same IP was working fine.
    Try to use proxies, if it is working so it is you ISP, otherwise try to connect without router and any firewall.

Good Luck.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    pnmgomes's Avatar <<::Addicted::>> BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    A good way to bypass ISP that is throttling BT traffic is changing to another client.
    I recommend you Deluge, it's only Beta for windows but people who are using it are reporting good results!
    Download link:
    http://deluge-torrent.org/downloads

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    PNmgomes, thanks soooo much!!! Deluge did the trick! I was back to DLing at over 1Mb. The UL is a little slower than UTorrent was, but no prob. Most importantly, using Deluge allowed me to confirm that my ISP WAS throttling BT traffic (they denied limiting ANY net traffic...)

I have since switched ISPs and gone back to UTorrent as I have no problems with BT throttling anymore. Thanks again, because this was a huge help

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr00420 View Post
    I changed ISPs almost a year ago now to be able to get a fiber optic connection. AFter configuring the router and the ISP's own "firewall" called Netbarrier, I was downloading often at 2MB and ULing at 1MB. About 6 mths ago my max DL and UL speeds dropped to about a total of 100-150kB no matter if I'm DLing 1 or more torrents from the same or various trackers both public and private.

I have started using a new PC with UTorrent, but the same issue continues so it's not hardware issue. My ports are connectable and forwarded throught my router, personal firewall, anti-virus and the ISP's "firewall." I've tried Azureus as well and I get the same results. I have always used encryption, but turning it off doesn't help either. My speed settings are appropriate (I'm supposed to have a 100MB connection that is really around 80MB, but even my slowest speed test was around 20MB. I'm considering switching ISPs to see if that helps.

I'm using Plala in JP, and some other users believe they're being throttled. How can I be sure if my ISP is throttling my BT traffic?
    Seeing you already have changed providers this is purely academic...

Throttling occurs mainly on the default ports...

So why not try higher ports, like above 20000 for example? Play around.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    dnero73's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pnmgomes View Post
    A good way to bypass ISP that is throttling BT traffic is changing to another client.
    I recommend you Deluge, it's only Beta for windows but people who are using it are reporting good results!
    Download link:
    http://deluge-torrent.org/downloads
    hope more trackers start allowing this client

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ♥ FST Lover ♥ BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    deluge seems to work pretty good, hope trackers decide to allow this tracker

Wishing for: SweDVDR

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    [QUOTE=thewizeard;2381359]
    Quote Originally Posted by mr00420 View Post

Seeing you already have changed providers this is purely academic...

Throttling occurs mainly on the default ports...

So why not try higher ports, like above 20000 for example? Play around.
    I am using a Port# much higher than 20000, not a default port, and was still getting shaped. The other problem with playing around is that I would have to log on to my router everytime to change ports (which is more difficult than it sounds as it's in Japanese, and must be fowarded on both the ph. company's router and the ISP's web router/ firewall- which only allows permanent adjustments.)

According to many sources changing ports is often not effective against ISPs that packet shape.

ANyway, I agree Deluge is great, and I believe will be allowed by more and more private trackers as they get rid of the bugs, etc. They are already putting out upgrades on a very regular basis. The only prob. is that it will be a BT client only and won't allow for set up as a tracker bt there are add-ons for that