Thread: Multiple Internet Connections

I connect thru a university residential network (ie thru a network card), they run a high speed proxy on the network and I connect thru this for internet browsing, anything else seems to get forwarded as though i'm on a normal internet connection, ie if i don't connect to the proxy the requests for web pages still go thru, just a lot slower and i can also run file sharing programs without any real configuration (just ports for the firewall). I can't do fast filesharing at the moment because the unproxied network is too slow, but it is an option to subscribe to broadband.
    My question is this: Can the 2 work side by side or must i choose between them. If u can use both, do i have to set anything up and how does it work?? (NB the proxy is on a private network ip range, also I'm not sure but i think i've been given my own specific non-private ip address)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    dont think it is really possible to use both at the same time, better sticking with uni connection, save some money

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I just saw another post that gave me fresh hope, so i'm bumping this in case anyone else has any bright ideas

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Isn't there an option to bridge internet connections in Win XP? I think I saw it. Not sure what it does though

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Nexland Pro800Turbo Router/Firewall

The Pro800turbo Load-Balances 2 different Internet connections making them seem as one. The user can define percentages of use for each line. Also, if one line goes down, 100% of the traffic is sent to the good line... Automatically! Great for networks with heavy loads or power surfers that like to download multiple files, like MP3s, at once. Speed up your network NOW!

Switched Ports: 8 RJ-45WAN
    Ports: 2 RJ-45
    Serial Console: Yes
    Web Administration: Yes
    Max Clients: 254
    Dimensions: 10 7/8" x 1 5/16" x 5 11/16" (W x H x D)
    Weight: 3 lbs

Price: $383.00

Works for me, even though I dont have multiple internet connections its still a good router. Plus, you gotta have alien gear to go with the ware. B)
    http://www.alienware.com/gearshop_pages/gear_shop.aspx

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thanks for that info shn, i went looking into it and after bouncing around a few forums and trying to track down a company that no longer exists I think i may have found a software solution at http://www.nat32.com
    I'll see how that works out as i don't fancy shelling out for a router just yet.
    Cheers

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ilw@16 July 2003 - 02:40
    thanks for that info shn, i went looking into it and after bouncing around a few forums and trying to track down a company that no longer exists I think i may have found a software solution at http://www.nat32.com
    I'll see how that works out as i don't fancy shelling out for a router just yet.
    Cheers
    Yeah I checked out the program on that link you just posted. Looks pretty good. Have fun

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ilw-- I have to ask you where you got that fighting thing that goes along with your messages(({{I dont know what its called}})) and do you know if it is available as a screensaver?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Its xiao xiao's first fight, search google and u'll find lots of info and lots more fights, sadly its not a screensaver its a movie file from which i clipped the part thats shown in my sig and I previously had a clip as my avatar. U can find lots of other stick fights on the web and at newgrounds.com here