Thread: How Do I Config This Router?

Very Large Member
    Ive just bought a Belkin wireless router so I can surf the net on my laptop.The only problem Im having is connecting to emule.Ive read their guide and searched this forum,but to no avail.The manual that came with it is next to useless.

p.s. Ive no prior knowledge of TCPs and UDPs either.Its all foreign to me,so a really simple explanation will be appreciated.
    Thanx all.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Hmmmm...

Not familiar with emule but it could be an IP filter or port issue. You would need to know the IP address of emule and/or the port number it uses and then configure that in your router.

I'm no expert but that much I know from my own experience of setting up home networks.

Porpoise

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Your router's IP Address is probably 192.168.0.1 so just Type that in your browser ( the password for it is probably " Password " or there is no password and u just press enter. Then see if it has a set up wizard of somekind. Also ask one of the people on the eMule forum is there are certain TCP and UDP ports that you have to unblock on your router to be able to download...there might be...i know Kazaa is faster if you unblock 1214 on both TCP and UDP... I think at least...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Very Large Member
    Cheers guys,I found out the tcp and udp port numbers now.Im still stuck on how to unblock them though.I thought networks would be so simple as well.Lol.
    Im having a bad day!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    mines simple, hehe, mines only a wired linksys router though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Very Large Member
    Originally posted by Livy@13 July 2003 - 21:24
    mines simple, hehe, mines only a wired linksys router though.
    I probably should have bought wired,but I had to be flash.Doh!
    Ive had nowt but hassle with this and the only thing keeping me going is that it should be worth it in the end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chalkmongoose
    You people are funny people
    Go to the network configuration for your wireless card, and setup your computer to use static IP, instead of a dynamic one.
    Run-->cmd-->ipconfig /all
    will tell you things like your current IP address and the address of your DNS servers.
    Put those into the boxes for provide IP address and provide DNS address.
    Go to your wireless configuration, and go to the advanced section. Setup DMZ for your IP (that turns off protection for your computer), or setup port forwarding to allow traffic on the ports that emule uses.
    How to do all these things can easily be found on Google, or on the Belkins site.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I DO know about tcp, udp, routers etc, and I never did find out how to get emule to work through a router (at least the version I was using then).

As far as I could tell, there was no proxy setting (or at least none that worked).
    So I tried using sockscap, but emule fell over as soon as I tried that, same was true with overnet.

Hopefully they have corrected these things.

The problem is not with your wireless network (emule won't know what the physical media is) but in your proxy settings.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Very Large Member
    Thanks Chalk.Im gonna give it a go.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    emule seems real "glitchy" with me. I have it working with a hi ID. Then next thing I know it a low ID. Now its a high ID. All of these results are with unchanged ports on my router. on my router i have ports 4662 and 4665 for emule. i just go into the router and setup a virtual server. enter my local ip (i.e 192.168.0.1) enable it all of the time. port range 4662-4662 tcp. then the same thing with 4665 udp. hope that helps. here is a site with further information with lots of router examples. http://tomyy.preinheimer.com