Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an ebook reader

davidw89's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    I want to buy a really good ebook reader that acts like a book )black and white e-ink technology) that doesnt wreck my eyes compared to reading it on the computer
    cost doesnt matter but must be under $500and must be able to support common ebook format like .txt/,pdf/.words etc?
    iam looking at the sony ones..
    which ones do u guys use?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    wmrawls's Avatar Member
    I just picked up a SONY PRS 505 from their website and it was $299. I am very pleased with it. The new model allows you to use SD cards and Sony memory sticks to add storage. As of this very moment I have 2022 books stored on it. It will read the sony format and MS Word and text files and some others.
    Its easy on the eyes, large format, adjustable font size. Check it out. I was using my Dell Axim before getting the Sony. Oh it also reads Adobe format.
    Last edited by wmrawls; 10-24-2007 at 04:59 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Depends what you want, read up on the various ones available at the mobile read forums:
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

or compare the various ones on the market at
    http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

PErsonally i really want one, but 1 am pretty broke atm and 2 none of them have quite what i'm looking for, although the next hanlin one sounds like it'll hit the spot.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wmrawls View Post
    I just picked up a SONY PRS 505 from their website and it was $299. I am very pleased with it. The new model allows you to use SD cards and Sony memory sticks to add storage. As of this very moment I have 2022 books stored on it. It will read the sony format and MS Word and text files and some others.
    Its easy on the eyes, large format, adjustable font size. Check it out. I was using my Dell Axim before getting the Sony. Oh it also reads Adobe format.
    What is this Sony format?? SO u can put both SD and SOny memery sticks (no SDHC i guess?)
    Whats the internal storage though?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
    What is this Sony format?? SO u can put both SD and SOny memery sticks (no SDHC i guess?)
    Whats the internal storage though?
    no need for internal storage because u can get a small sd card for about 5 bucks. all u need is small because they are text files.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    wmrawls's Avatar Member
    Here's the direct link:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16184

I now have 2100 books on the combined storage. I have a 1 gig Sony Pro card (the small one) an a 2 Gig SD card. As was mentioned they are really cheep now (not as cheep as $5 bucks but recently Office depot was offering 2 for less than $50 USD).
    The internal memory will hold approximately 160 Sony format books of average size as indicated by the spec sheet. Its taking some getting use to but I am tickled with it so far.

And the Sony format is their proprietary format and is listed as BBeB or an extension of .lrf.
    If your net savvy you can find tons of books formated this way and on torrent sites many are offered. There is also software available that lets you convert files to that format if your so inclined. Personaly the text format works just fine for me.
    Last edited by wmrawls; 10-25-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Lounge   -   #7
    ah k..sounds cool but i dont think they ship internationally
    so u can use both memory card at the same time? doesn't support SDHC i suppose?
    yeah can u confirm if it can convert pdf to that format?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    wmrawls's Avatar Member
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. There are several free ware programs available to convert PDF into the sony format as well as other types of formats.
    This site http://www.mobileread.com/ has a very good forum devoted to the Sony reader and there is a lot of good information available to help the novice convert formats and to make their own Sony reader book. However I find that most text styles read quite well with out a conversion, matter of personal preference I suppose. Hope this helps, belated as it is.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    dineshreddy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    is there any e-books reader for computer ?

10. Lounge   -   #10
    escuoop's Avatar ♥♥♥ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Can it read CHM format?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast