Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIAA impact on industry

xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I have been thinking. I wonder if the RIAA understands the impact of closing oink. I used to get all my music from oink. I could hear of something, then download it from oink. I could listen to the band and enjoy their music. Prior to me joining oink I didn't listen to new music. I was listening to the fossil rock that i was raised with and some trance from my partying days. Regardless there was no new music being listened to and no money going to new artists. Since discovering oink, I have been exposed to all sorts of new music. I have fallen in love with a band that i would never have listened to without it. I have been to their concert and i even bought a t-shirt. Thank you oink for exposing me to music I would never have heard. I guess until I find a repacement, i'll go back to the tunes i grew up with in the 70's and 80's. I guess i can turn on the radio for that. All my favorite classic rock tunes are on 101.1fm free all day. Everything else is on various formats of media. Unless they wanna take the radio station down for giving everybody the opportunity to listen to music for free and making money from "donations" or advertizing revenue. Another issue i see is that in Canada we pay a levy .22cents per cdr that we buy. No matter what its used for, we still pay the levy to the recording industry. We have been told its to pay for the right to put music downloaded from the internet on these disks.

I guess my point is: The RIAA should learn to adapt in this ever changing world or the world is going to pass it by.
    peace

edit: And look at what has happened here. Not only is the community not resting, it seems to be growing stronger. There is no fear of anything it looks like. Braisin new site owners are trying to reel in all the old oink users. Some of the older sites that couldn't compete are welcoming the community with open arms.
    Last edited by xJohnxSmithx; 10-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    carinio's Avatar Poster
    with all do respect, i think that you are wayyyyyyyyy to wrong..
    the artist dont work free, they dont made songs free, you must paid for songs, new songs or all songs, never are free songs..
    dont be wrong, the old music isnt free at all..
    i was a user of oink, but i think that is fine that the RIAA close the tracker, because is ilegal download music, is like stealing, dont get me wrong, i do that, but im aware that is ilegal and its bad
    so, dont said that the RIAA did bad, or they must to adapt to the pirates, because is just nosense

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Sylar666's Avatar Kingpin BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    It was the IFPI, not RIAA. Carino Your argument is...at least questionable. OiNK had NOTHING on the servers, but torrent - files. I know it's hard to grasp, but do not make judgements on false or made up facts. The Users had the files, OiNk basically worked as clearinghouse (kind of). So they cannot make a case of it I guess.
    A malis vituperari laus est.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I read some blog that somewhat, if not completely or specifically, explained the same thing. On the one hand it is an understandable desire for copyright owners to close down private communities this large because they cost loads of money - in theory and with a lot of wishful thinking anyway

This thing with the oink closedown at least is about more than just copyright infringements and piracy, I see a good deal of reasons and consequences the music industry has been in denial about for a good couple of years and with grand news and a good deal of false hope like this, they'll stay on the same track for another few.

It's a sad thing when a private torrent community can satisfy a music-lover more than any music store or online shop for that matter (and no, I'm not talking about the whole thing being free) - oink isn't the only community this applie(s/d) to.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    carinio's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar666 View Post
    It was the IFPI, not RIAA. Carino Your argument is...at least questionable. OiNK had NOTHING on the servers, but torrent - files. I know it's hard to grasp, but do not make judgements on false or made up facts. The Users had the files, OiNk basically worked as clearinghouse (kind of). So they cannot make a case of it I guess.
    i see your point, but oink give torrents to download ilegal stuff, for what they are responsible

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by carinio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar666 View Post
    i see your point, but oink give torrents to download ilegal stuff, for what they are responsible
    No, users are responsible for the torrents they upload. Oink had no control over this. Go over some basic torrent site rules and faq again.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    carinio's Avatar Poster
    if oink give the chance to the users to download this torrents, that give access to ilegal stuff (like download any song without paying the copyrights) is the responsible

It is like an old proverb that says, "is not the fault of the pork, it is the one who gives to eat "

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Qua's Avatar Fortress Europe BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Okay,so Oink give user access to ilegal stuff,then I guess Google is next,after that they shoud arrest owners of Youtube,and finally go after ISP companies,they also give us access to illegal stuff.
    Hasta siempre.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is free Melvin Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to free Melvin and help him gain world domination!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    cubkiller89's Avatar GSXR-600 BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Qua View Post
    Okay,so Oink give user access to ilegal stuff,then I guess Google is next,after that they shoud arrest owners of Youtube,and finally go after ISP companies,they also give us access to illegal stuff.

Your logic is so flawed. OiNK knowingly hosted torrent files where they knew had illegal music in there. The sole purpose of OiNK was to be a place where users can get music and programs for free. The admins and such knew what material was on there because they had to delete many torrent files.

So saying they didn't actually host the files on their servers isn't really an excuse. Again I'm all for OiNK i was a PU on there and I loved it but it's the risk you take.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    It's funny if they think they helped their sales by bringing down Oink. The only thing they accomplished by this is pissing off 180.000 potential consumers.

I first stopped buying anything released by Sony/BGM because one of the CD's I bought from that label caused major problems for me when trying to get a copy of it on my computer, as I like better to have my entire collection in one place rather than 250+ CD's/Albums.

Then they started sueing 13 year olds etc. which made me support major labels less and less. I still bought stuff from time to time though.

IMO they just shot themselves in the foot, if they hadn't managed that already.

What they failed to notice was that Oink wasn't some filesharing site, but the biggest music community on the web, and while people were downloading their precious copies of songs, they were also discussing the artists not only on the site but also between friends. People don't listen to the radio anymore to find new music, they go on Oink to see what's hot or not. New artists get discovered, old artist stay alive so they might even make a comeback.

Several of those 180.000 members actually had a say in what gets played or not. Several of those members were also artists themselves. People involved in the music industry could use the site to evolve from some band playing in their garage into something that would get noticed. DJ's took songs fom there and included them in their mixes, making it heard at clubs.

They have no idea what a stupid thing they did.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 10-25-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast