Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid cooled CPU benifits??

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge

Question Mark

So I am thinking of getting a liquid cooler for my Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz cpu. For the most part it runs @ 32-34 degrees which I don't think is bad at all but I want to make sure it stays that way. I want to get the liquid cooler or a better cpu fan (110-120mm). I have the factory fan installed right now. What do you "guru's" here think I should do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Leave it alone.

If it is running at 32-34C, then that temp won't rise much even when the HSF gets clogged with dust, as it inevitably will. Just a quick clean when you notice the temps rising will serve you better than replacing any cooling parts.

If you really want to do something constructive, make sure that you have positive pressure in the case by having more inlet fans than exhaust ones, and equip them with dust filters.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks man I appreciate your rapid reply. I will get the filters as you said but I want to start messing around with overclocking soon. I still have some more reading to do on it, and I'm not sure I even want to do it but curiosity is getting the best of me. I do however need a new case as my current one has lots of openings that suck dust in and the inside of my case looks like a moon landing within a month or so. Thanks for the input again

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    the main advantage of liquid cooling is that it runs silently, or thats what I hear

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Many of us here have tried overclocking, it doesn't give the benefits you might expect.

As for watercooling being silent, that's only true if you've got a fully passive system. Otherwise the cooling fans on the radiator can be just as noisy (or noisier if they are outside the case), and even the hum of the pump gets annoying after a while.

As for dust in the case, that's the whole point of positive pressure. The excess of inlet fans prevent any dust laden air from being sucked in through the case openings, and you get filters on the inlet fans to stop that source of dust.

More inlet fans has a small benefit in noise reduction too - any sound generated by the inlet fans is directed into the case and is consequently damped by the case itself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Dude that sounds good I am going to trust you and do as you say. Is there such a thing as too much intake pressure? ATM I have 1 80mm + 1 120mm in and 2 80mm out I want to add 2-3 more fans anyway, I don't care about the noise It helps me sleep anyway. I also have an opening for another side fan( holes drilled in the acrylic panel ) do they sell some kind of cover for it if I dont use it? eh maybe ill put another fan on it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Many of us here have tried overclocking, it doesn't give the benefits you might expect.
    True, but it can be fun in an obsessive kinda way.
    If you persevere, you will learn an awful lot about how your various components interact on a more basic level than most folks ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    As for watercooling being silent, that's only true if you've got a fully passive system. Otherwise the cooling fans on the radiator can be just as noisy (or noisier if they are outside the case), and even the hum of the pump gets annoying after a while.
    Again, technically true but practically, not so much.
    An air cooled system depends on fans to bring air in (i.e., the case fans), push it over the hot bits (the heatsink fan) and finally, evacuate the waste hot air from the case (again, case fans and to whatever extent, the power supply fan).

Properly done, a watercooled set up can require fewer fans and they can be run at a lower, hence quieter speed.
    Pump noise is not an issue with most modern units.

On the other hand, watercooling is expensive and requires extra work when dealing with the innards of the case.
    In the past, I've watercooled quite a bit but these days heatsink tech is so advanced that the performance gap 'tween air and water is very narrow at lower heat ranges (and keep in mind- every generation of CPUs has been running cooler than the last lately and this "performance per watt" strategy is likely to continue) and only becomes worthwhile at higher overclocks- at which point it's probably cheaper to just buy the faster chip in the first place.

Low 30's is not a bad place to be although you could no doubt do better with an aftermarket heatsink/fan combo- a move that would give you plenty of headroom for your fledgling overclocking attempts.

Here
    would be a good place to begin the search for a new sink...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you are going to add more fans, large low speed fans are better than small high speed ones.

Just to give you an example, a 120mm fan has a driven area of about 9500mm˛ compared to 3800mm˛ for an 80mm fan. That means an 80 mm fan has to spin almost 3 times as fast as an 120mm fan to achieve the same airflow, or you need three 80mm fans running at the same speed.

If you've got the mount points, fit big fans. If you are going to change your case, pick one that will take big fans. You will get more airflow and less noise in the long run.

But as clocker says, if you want to play around with overclocking and/or watercooling, don't let me put you off. Just be aware that it is not necessarily a cheap way of getting improved performance.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-02-2007 at 01:13 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    be aware that it is not necessarily a cheap way of getting improved performance.
    Not cheap at all.
    If you're going to watercool there is absolutely no point in going cheap.

A few of my loops...
    Dual processor Opteron server w/wc'ed northbridge and video.

Dual core Opteron 180 w/GT7800...

I've tinkered with aircooling a bit as well...

When you watercool the case is very important.
    IMO, the best/easiest case to work with is the original Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Those look so secksy, well done clock.:applause:
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast