Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Ownership

Originally posted by Infested Cats@15 July 2003 - 13:56
    Israel, with a higher gun ownership rate than the U.S., has a murder rate 40% below Canada's.
    per-capita or absolute?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Originally posted by Infested Cats@15 July 2003 - 14:56
    Israel, with a higher gun ownership rate than the U.S., has a murder rate 40% below Canada's.
    I'm assuming a lot of things aren't being counted in that murder rate and IMO it would be very difficult to pick out relevant stats in a country as troubled as israel.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Infested Cats@15 July 2003 - 13:56
    IC, does that include terrorist attacks ?

Either way, it seems that with so many armed militia around, you would have to be pretty serious about it before you started brandishing a gun about, they don't mess about when they see one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    it seems we all agree that comparing israel with the us, and especially canada, is not very helpful.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2003 - 07:59
    No, you seem to lower yourself to the level of personal insults and jibes.
    Only when I'm begged to do so.

You begged.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2003 - 08:01
    If I remember correctly, tralalala wanted to get rid of all the guns.
    But I'll let him comment further himself, if he's around.
    I would hope Tralalala's wish to be rid of guns wouldn't impede his rendering of an opinion as to the question at hand.

He seems plenty capable of stepping outside any personally-held beliefs in order to be objective.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    j2, lynx, whoever else, lets move on

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    lynx's Avatar .
    My apologies for my earlier comment to you, myfiles3000, you stepped in front of a stray bullet.

However, when I comment on someones post and get personally attacked for it, comment again and get yet another personal attack, I will defend myself.

I have seen j2's methods in this respect before, and it is nothing short of an attempt at verbal bullying. But he isn't in the playground now and I for one won't let him get away with it.

I've said my piece and will leave it at that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@15 July 2003 - 08:07
    it seems we all agree that comparing israel with the us, and especially canada, is not very helpful.
    I will forego my pique at the lack of personal recognition afforded by your use of the word all, myfiles.

It may not be too helpful to use Israel for purposes of comparison, but it is very useful.

It seems that those here who wish to question U.S. policy as to gun control are discomfitted at being asked to explain the obvious co-existence of circumstances (many guns/few murders) in Israel which would damage their presumption that "many guns" just has to equal a high murder-rate, because if it is proven otherwise, their case, vis a vis the U.S., goes down the drain.

As I said earlier in this thread:

You can't ignore inconvenient facts just because they hurt your case.

You may insist on the validity of an opinion, but not to the point of undisguised intellectual dishonesty.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2003 - 16:00
    you stepped in front of a stray bullet.
    lol
    was that meant to be ironic?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast