Thread: FTP from Seedbox

Hi Guys...

I'm new to seedboxes and I recently got a dedicated server from softlayer. I currently have a 10Mbps upload from them, but I was thinking of upgrading as my FTP transfer speeds have been really slow. I'm only getting about 125Kbs transfer speed.

Would upgrading my upload port speed to 100 or 1000Mbps solve this problem? Or should my ftp download speeds be quicker with the 10Mbps upload port?

Thank you.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    thejosher's Avatar I'm Josh! BT Rep: +4
    It's likely that the routing to your server from your line is bad. I only get 70KB/s or so per connection from my box. (but I get the full 100mbps seeding as shown in the screenshot in my sig)

What I do is just use multiple connections (i.e. download more than one file at a time on FTP or use more than one connection at the same time for HTTP)... this way I get 70KB/s per connection until I max out my line.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks for your reply... I'm guessing the issue with the routing to my sever is something that I cannot fix. What ftp client to you use? I'm using cuteftp and just maxing out concurrent transfers. Is there anything else I can do as far as settings?

Thanks!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosher View Post

What I do is just use multiple connections (i.e. download more than one file at a time on FTP or use more than one connection at the same time for HTTP)... this way I get 70KB/s per connection until I max out my line.
    How does one do that on Flash FXP?
    eee

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I've heard messing with the TCP/IP buffer can help.

Also, what if you add a domain and download thru HTTP, would that fix the speeds?
    Last edited by iam1337; 10-28-2007 at 09:14 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    From what I understand, FXP is mainly for server to server connection. Am I correct that it won't really help in downloads from my box to home?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Flash FXP can be used as ftp to ftp or as FTP to local harddrive.
    Its one of my favorite ftp programs, and i have tried alot of them..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    hit f12 on keyboard when within flashfxp to load a 2nd instance....

also a fix for this might be to try using rush...
    It allows multi sockets to be used when downloading from a single source which ussually does the same trick as the multiple file transfers mentioned above... except for a single file so generally works better than dl multiple files to keep speeds maxed.