Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your seedbox kills my ratio

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

Dry

That's right, your seedboxes kill my ratio. It's tough going for the little man these days.

I just uploaded a torrent on Pedro's which has gotten a lot of quick leechers. I saw that 20+ members jumped on in the first 5-10 minutes, so I should get a good amount of upload, right? Wrong.

Current stats:

27 seeders
    6 leechers
    1.146 ratio

Doesn't really make us want to upload when not much is received.

Should trackers give uploaders a minimum of 2.0 or 3.0 ratio when uploading? Seems to me that uploaders should get a bit more for their troubles; at least with FLAC rips.

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    thejosher's Avatar I'm Josh! BT Rep: +4
    Yeah.. I finally gave in a got a box to build a buffer on my most used trackers because of this.

I think maybe an overseeding enforcement on trackers might help.. i.e. not reporting any download after the torrent has reached a 8.00 ratio for example. I dunno.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    its not the seedboxes, its the users who think they just HAVE to buff up their accounts so they can hit and run later (or trade it later?)
    Buffing accounts excessivly kills other peoples ratio's. Everything has to even out, so if your getting 5.00+ ratio on a torrent, theres 5 people out there with 0.
    Seed, but stop the excessive buffing people! no one likes hit and runners anyway!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    its not the seedboxes, its the users who think they just HAVE to buff up their accounts so they can hit and run later (or trade it later?)
    Buffing accounts excessivly kills other peoples ratio's. Everything has to even out, so if your getting 5.00+ ratio on a torrent, theres 5 people out there with 0.
    Seed, but stop the excessive buffing people! no one likes hit and runners anyway!
    I agree. I invited a member to Pedro's recently and looked at their account after some 2 days, to see the account had been buffered to almost 200GB already.

While he's obviously contributing, it harms the tracker and it's users as a whole. Cut it out, you arses.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I totally agree with you about seedboxes making normal user's lives hell (metaphorically speaking).
    Perhaps the solution is that trackers limit their users' ratios/buffers. I mean, come on, there's no good reason whatsoever for anyone to have a 10+ ratio with a 50GB+ buffer.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    thejosher's Avatar I'm Josh! BT Rep: +4
    Well I think in general it's not a big deal as long as the site does something to help with it.

TL, has a lot of leechers so seeding there is easy.

various sites use bonus points, which are nice but kinda cheap and easy to abuse.

Free leech is a great to level out ratios.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Why buy a seedbox...never pay for file sharing unless you want to be an uploader I can't see the point. I find that I usually get a similar ratio on torrent's I upload. The trick is to just keep seeding it for ages then when most of the other seeds drop off you'll get some more. I have a couple going like that now that have ratios in the sixes and sevens.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    I think trackers need to start enforcing some sort of overseeding rule. Something like if you reach a ratio of 2:1 then you must you must leave the torrent. But if a tracker has alot of users it is going to be hard to police, not unless they use a some sort of script.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    They could use a script for that, similar to wait times, but in reverse. After >2.0 ratio on a finished download, the tracker could stop recording data from that user. This way they could still be 'helping' but are not recieving a huge buffer for doing it.

Also, I think this idea is only good for well seeded torrents. Torrents with <~5 seeders or so should be left alone, some one has to seed 'em!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosher View Post
    Yeah.. I finally gave in a got a box to build a buffer on my most used trackers because of this.

I think maybe an overseeding enforcement on trackers might help.. i.e. not reporting any download after the torrent has reached a 8.00 ratio for example. I dunno.
    Well I think in general it's not a big deal as long as the site does something to help with it.

TL, has a lot of leechers so seeding there is easy.

various sites use bonus points, which are nice but kinda cheap and easy to abuse.

Free leech is a great to level out ratios.
    I got an 11.xxx and 12.xxx ratio on bitmetv and ftn respectively on this last ep
    You're young, so I won't point out the obvious inconsistencies.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast