Thread: Opening port on Xtreme N router (DIR-655)

DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    I got the new Xtreme N wireless router from D-Link and I'm having trouble opening the port for torrenting. I've tried "Port Forwarding" in the settings and "Virtual Server"

The PCs I want to open on have static IPs and I'm doing everything right as far as I can see. Plus I've followed PortForward.com's guide by the word also

Anyone have this router and has opened the port?

Thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    no one has this router?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    You may already know some or all of what I'm going to say, but I'll say it anyway in case you don't, or for anyone else looking at this.

First of all, if you are using more than one PC for torrenting you can't use the same port (or port ranges) on each PC. This is because other users will only see your wan side IP address, which is the same for both PCs, so the only way to differentiate between them is to use a different port. I don't know if the router will allow it, but if you've tried to use the same port it is likely that the attempt at port forwarding will either be ignored or will be confused because of the conflict.

Secondly, use either Virtual Servers or Port Forwarding, but not both. You can't get round the different ports on different PCs problem by using Virtual Servers with different public/private ports, so don't bother trying. I'd recommend you stick to Port Forwarding.

Thirdly, don't use the standard torrent ports (6881 to 6889), these are often blacklisted by trackers and blocked by ISPs. If the option is available (as with utorrent) click the "Random" button until you get a 5 digit number, but do NOT select "Randomize the port each time utorrent starts"

The fields you need to enter:
    Name - that's just a name, put anything you want but make sure it is unique.
    IP Address - that's the lan side IP address of the PC, probably 192.168.0.x
    TCP ports: Enter the port number used by the torrent program on that PC. If your program uses multiple ports put a range separated by a dash.
    UDP ports: Enter the port number(s) used by the torrent program on that PC. Some torrent clients have a separate UDP port. If so, add that port too, separated from the other(s) by a comman and space.
    Finally, make sure you put a tick in the check box, otherwise it isn't enabled.

Repeat the above for the any other PCs, matching the IP address to the ports used on that PC.

Don't forget to click the "Save Settings" button.

At this point I usually restart the router. It may not be necessary (depending on the router) but it can't do any harm and you can then check that your entries have been properly stored.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hi, I too am have this exact issue on a LAN being driven by this router. Am using UTorrrent 1.77 with DIR-655's open ports to static internal address and still no luck getting a green checkmark in UTorrent.

Also, I am in XP mediacenter edition.

Have tried different combos of all listed steps to open ports on the DIR-655 and still no luck.

Hey DaMan05, just wondering if you've figured this out yet?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiSweet View Post
    Hi, I too am have this exact issue on a LAN being driven by this router. Am using UTorrrent 1.77 with DIR-655's open ports to static internal address and still no luck getting a green checkmark in UTorrent.

Also, I am in XP mediacenter edition.

Have tried different combos of all listed steps to open ports on the DIR-655 and still no luck.

Hey DaMan05, just wondering if you've figured this out yet?
    Yes, I got it. What I did was make the router dial the DSL modem instead of the modem itself dialing. By dialing I mean connect to the internet really.

I don't know whether you have DSL, but if you do, go into the modem settings by connecting it directly to your PC, then set it to "Bridge Mode" I believe. It may be called something else, but there won't be many settings in your modem.

I don't know whether it's the same with a cable modem but look through it's settings anyway

Hope this helps

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    cable modems are in so called bridge mode already. when i switched from cable to dsl, my dsl modem/router was connect to my linksys WRT300N router and it worked but was ugly setup. so i set the dsl modem/router to transparent bridged and use PPPoE. i also updated my linksys router with third-party firmware (dd-wrt). now i can torrent and surf smoothly

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I got UTorrent with green checkmark now on DIR-655.

I must say that this router is dabomb, compared to Linksys WRT350N which I was using prior to the DIR-655. The Dlink is by far, a superior product in every way.

Thanks for everything people. This site rocks bigtime!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiSweet View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I got UTorrent with green checkmark now on DIR-655.
    nice. what did you change?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I changed the config on the DIR-655 to connect to my DSL using PPPOE instead of having my modem make the DSL connection. I basically left all fields on the modem blank, meaning blank username and no password. Then, switched the internet configuration on the DIR-655 to PPPOE instead of Dynamic IP (DHCP), entered my ISP username and password and now all is great.

Port forwarding works like a charm and the wireless connection on this router is by far the stongest signal strength I've ever seen on any N router out there.

I also own a Linksys WRT350N which is not very good at all. If anyone is considering upgrading their network to wireless N, I highly recommend this DIR-655.

Anyone see the new Belkin N1 vision? Looks very sick. I wonder how it stacks up against it's rivals?

Thanks for the great advice DaMan05, much appreciated.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    No problem man... that's exactly what I did but you just explained it better

Though I have to disagree with you on the router. I think that signal quality is pitiful! Before this, I had the XtremeG D-Link router (DI-624) and it performed much better. Though I don't have a proper opinion on it because with the XtremeG i was running on 108mbps but now I'm using the XtremeN to broadcast 54mbpsG. I'm sure it would be a lot better if I set it to 300mbps N.

Even though I'm running it on G, I still think it should be better than it is now. I have it in the basement and I have trouble catching the network on the main floor! Yet I catch the network of the house that's across the street and 3 down!