Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Skewl Air Cooling

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I'm experimenting with a second 120mm fan to do the same thing for the (now fanless) Southbridge sink.

As for the Southbridge...all of the s939 boards I've seen come stock with a cheesy little fan/sink combo.
    Typically, they are noisy and fail quickly (Abits were notorious for this).
    This aftermarket sink just uses the two holes of the stock fan to install. I didn't use the plastic pushpins, instead substituting screws and nuts to get a good, firm mount.
    As for the 120mm fan I see now its like on newer cases where they have mounting for a fan on the side of the case just opposit the CPU fan and sometimes even a "cone" so the intake is isolated. But in some of the examples you've shown here there does not appear to be a crossbrace

Also correct me if Im wrong but I believe this to be a system you have/had and what kind of fans are those on the bottom. I like the black blades with the transparent case

Now I want to try out some southbridge cooling as my current one has nothing no fan/heatsink, but will it improve my system performance or is it just a minor thing to play around with and not take to seriously?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    nice sennheiser e150's
    I got those too

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    nice sennheiser e150's
    I got those too
    Yeah, j2 turned me on to these.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Makes me think time to go back and build another liquid cooling machine this air cooled runs about 94 degrees all the time and it has the KAMA Cross CPU Cooler

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I thought this was pic worthy. Damn good looking cooler
    KAMA Cross CPU Cooler

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Sgt...first of all, 94° (I assume F) ain't all that bad- just under 35°C.

Secondly, the very first thing I thought when I saw that cooler was "I'll bet it would run a whole lot better if the ends were enclosed".

Do us a favor please and just make a quick cardboard piece shaped like so...

*actually, make TWO pieces- one for each side...*
    You could probably use a rubber band to hold them in place temporarily.

Since air is essentially a lazy medium it will always take the path of least resistence, in this case just spilling out the sides rather than flowing through the fins.
    Block off the sides (and if you were really into it, the gap at the bottom as well) and force the air to fully cool the fins and I'd bet the temp would drop significantly, maybe as much as 4-5°C.

Try it and let us know...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    5hit I want to get one just to try that now...I think I have a problem I need a 12 step computer program

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    ...I think I have a problem I need a 12 step computer program
    Here's a project that will break you...

This is a brand new (the protective plastic is still layered all over it) Apple G5 case.
    The Holy Grail of PC cases- and I've had some nice ones- I've been pondering on this project for a couple of years now.
    Just dug it out to stare at again, I'm sorely tempted to finally take some power tools to it.

The trick is how to mount a suitable PC motherboard/backplane (pictured is an aluminum Lian-li part I bought just for this conversion) without trashing the aesthetics of the case.

I've seen build logs on other fori where this has been attempted but they never seem to reach conclusion.
    One extremely ambitious Australian attempted to remote wire a standard mobo's back I/O panel to fit the Apple's case configuration.
    Another guy tried to seemlessly integrate a Lian-li part like mine into the perforated mesh body.
    He drilled millions of matching holes, used lots of Bondo and JB Weld and looked like he was on the home stretch then dropped off the face of the net.

I would be happy to complete a job that looked good (if not undetectable) but have yet to muster the nerve to begin.
    T'aint like these cases are real common and I tend to veer off on tangents...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Well you know you have my vote to do it, but thats a $300 case to start hacking it up. Am I mistaken or did Lian Li get sued by Apple for making a very similar case? IMHO I think the best course of action would be to wire the MoBo I/O panel to meet the case instead of cutting the case. What ever you decide I can't wait to see it please post as many pics as you can.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    IMHO I think the best course of action would be to wire the MoBo I/O panel to meet the case instead of cutting the case.
    Although that might be the most elegant solution, in the real world there are two major issues that mitigate against it.

As you can see, the Apple backplane is very different than a standard PC's and the motherboard standoffs (see second pic above) don't correspond to a regular board.
    Even worse, those standoffs are not removable- they are swaged/pressed into the aluminum.
    To further complicate matters I can't even tell if the motherboard tray is actually the exterior side panel or a separate piece.

The case is entirely screwed together and there must be close to 150 Torx screws used.
    Just disassembling it to see what's what is a major operation.

Also, assume I was able to wire a mobo to fit...it wouldn't be possible to just swap out boards without doing it all over again.

You can see as well that Apple doesn't use a standard power supply, nor will it be easy to adapt one. Once a standard backplane is grafted on there probably isn't enough room to mount a PSU above or below due to the curved corners.

As if all of this wasn't daunting enough, this case did not come with any of the interior structure- whatever that may be- so there is no provision for mounting drives.
    The front panel has an opening for an optical drive (probably a slot load by the looks and size) but no easy way to affix said drive.

I think the Apple PSU must fit on the casefloor, kind of like some early Dells, and be a long flat rectangle.
    Probably the hard drive mounts on top of that.

So you can see the problem here- even after the motherboard is mounted, everything else has to be shoehorned in around it and it's all custom work.

These are the reasons (and there are probably others I haven't thought of yet) why this case has sat untouched for two years- simultaneously the object of desire and fear.

Edit:
    Found the two pertinent threads.
    Mr. Bean's.
    and
    Cyprio's.
    Mr. Bean's is my favorite approach but he never finished.
    Note that both project logs are over a year long which just shows how involved this conversion can be...or how lazy the modders are.
    Last edited by clocker; 11-06-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast