Thread: Giga News slow speed problem

Hi Guys

I was Previously using UNS and was acheving download speeds of 700-800kbs but have recently strugled to connect to their servers so tried Giga.

Problem is, I am struggling to acheive speeds higher then 200kbs. I have tried changing from newsleecher to alt binz only to acheive the same speeds.

I have turned off my anti virus (NOD32)- turned off windows firewall. I have also tryed the European server and changed ports from 119 to 23 and 80 with no luck.

Newsleecher connections is set to 10, priority 1, with a max download speed of 800 kbs.

The speeds test on Giga show my connection speeds is 6092 kbps. However on the Reverse Traceroute Tool I get the following message, "Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)" and " tiscali-uk-tch1.ip.tiscali.net (213.200.77.178) 5 ms 5 ms 6 ms".

Does anyone have ideas what i am doing wrong?
    Cheers

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Send the unresponsive ip to giganews and have them check it out.

Run the trace route several times until you are sure. If it is your ISP you can mail them instead.

If you can't find the right one, just mail giganews with your username, what you have tried, and they will check it out for you. They helped me with the same thing when I changed ISP.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for the quick reply,

will email giga now and let you know how i get on.

Got this reply....(All very knowledgeable but still useless as my speeds are still poor. Any more suggestions?)

Have reviewed the server logs and it appears that your newsreader is attempting to open a new connection before it has completely finished closing a previous connection. This, in turn, is causing you to exceed the connection limit and greatly degrade your speeds.

Usually after 15-30 minutes, the stalled connections should terminate so that new connections can be started. Any troubleshooting measures taken during this time period would appear not to work since the connections have not yet terminated.
    Sometimes this occurs when all of your connections are used up, and you either change newsgroups or try to download headers. This header connection counts as a connection, and if you try to retrieve new headers while all of your other connections are still in use, the header connection will be denied causing an error like the one you experienced.

We also find that, occasionally, interference from anti-virus or firewall software can cause a closing connection to hang open as the new one is trying to open, causing a conflict.
    Adjusting the settings of your security software or lowering the number of connections your newsreader is using will usually help to get around this type of error.

I have also noticed this error occurs more frequently during the time
    periods that ISP's are practicing traffic shaping. When they begin
    throttling your speeds it seems to somehow effect how quickly your
    connections terminate.
    Last edited by bumsrus; 11-04-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Try to trace route the giganews address with this program:

http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

If ONE thing between you and Giganews is causing the problem, then you mail your ISP.

Since you don't have the problem with UNS it got to be something between you and the Giganews server, as long as you are sure you haven't done any other config on the server settings.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Finally managed to sort it out. Had to upgrade from the Platinum package to Diamond, then use SSL on port 443.

Do you think this was down to my ISP (tiscalli)?

Garry

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bumsrus View Post
    Finally managed to sort it out. Had to upgrade from the Platinum package to Diamond, then use SSL on port 443.

Do you think this was down to my ISP (tiscalli)?

Garry
    I guess so.. I had to start using SSL when switching ISP. I got 2 internet connections and only one of them gave the problem (2 different ISP's).

Thought you had a slightly different problem, but I guess the Giganews guy was right hehe.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Your ISP could have been throttling the NNTP port. I've had Comcast do me like that one occassion. I normally just change to port 80 which my news provider supports.

You prefer the unlimited server anyway. A much better value.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I have been using the news accelerator with alt.binz and I have had great results. I use comcast and have heard about the things that they do to us but my sharing has always been fine as long as I encrypt.