Thread: Can I Do This?

Poster
    i have a 2.4 P4 with a 400 MHz Front Bus can i got up to a 533 front bus Motherboard without changing anything but the power supply? im looking to up my mother board GPU and Powersupply the new power source will be a 400W

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    should be fine, the fsb will run as fast as ur processor will suport i gues, also same for ram. so make sure they take same type of ram, e.g ddr rambus

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    right now im running PC 2100 DDR so will this have to be the same on my new motherboard?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    as long as its a ddr motherboard it should be fine,

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    thanks alot for clearing that up for me Livy but one more question i found this 533 Mother board that supports 2 GB DDR 2 PCI's 1 AGP and it has the exact same back connector make up as mine (which as im told isn't standard i was lucky now so i dont have to do any cutting) heres the link to it http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=243825 i also found a GeForce FX 5600 258 MB DDR card for about 160 and a 450W power supply for 70 do u think all this will go good with my PC? sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure im not gonna get myself in the deep end with parts i cant use.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Well done on finding a motherboard that fits your case.
    It is not quite up to the newest specs, but not too out of date..

A couple of points about the graphics card.

The Geforce 5600 is 8x AGP and the MB only supports 4x, so you will be wasting money buying that card, try to find a 4x card, it should be a lot cheaper.

And unless you are going to do some SERIOUS graphic work, 256MB graphics are a little over the top too, 128MB should be sufficient and you probably won't notice any probs with 64MB (I think I have 32 MB and have no graphics problems).

The power supply should be more than adequate - make sure it has 2 fans though (the usual one blowing air out the back horizontally and the other one sucking air from the processor vertically, assuming you have a tower case).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    i was going thru the FX 5600 Requerments and said it would workd on a AGP 4X let me go back at the specs and see if it was right or not if not the im just gonna have to go for a 8x AGP

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    here is the specs on the GPU it says near the to on interface 4x/8x so i dont know? and the reason im going with the 258 is cuz of games like Doom 3 next year also the games will prefer more VRAM

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    But your MB only supports 4x AGP.
    The card will work with that MB, you will only get 4x performance, but you will have paid for 8x.

Go for high memory spec if you like, IMO you will be wasting money, but that's up to you.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    hmm u do got a piont. oh well i'll think of soemthing. thanks for both of ur guys help tho