Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WGA strike! will this hurt tv trackers?

ADELA's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    well im sure alot of you already know that the WGA (Writers Guild of America's ) has gone on strike. last time they went on strike it lasted 5 months. alot of us can remember the bad tv shows of 1988!

my question is what affect does everyone think this will have on trackers like bitmetv or tvtorrents? imagine no fresh torrents for uploaders to up. already all late night shows will go into reruns, by feb. Current prime-time shows will likely run out of fresh episodes. that would mean no lost! reality show would be the only thing fresh to really download. that means more flava of love and i love new york (eww)!

could some of these trackers last 5 months or maybe more with no lost, heroes, 2 and a half men, csi whatever,etc etc etc?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21570821/
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    (....God also used OINK..)

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    bitmetv will be fine. there is plenty of older content to browse, not to mention, season DVD's are released all the time. Yup, bitmetv is not going anywhere, new shows or not.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    First off, all TV trackers also deal heavily with season packs or series packs so an important part of each tracker is used for older stuff anyway. Furthermore, do you know the number of produced projects or abandoned series that have episodes left to air? If worst came to be true, there'd be weeks of stuff to use - maybe not the series we have come forward to watching but something indeed.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    No. This won't affect most television at all. Shows are created and filmed months, sometimes years in advance.

The shows that you'll see impacted are things such as Leno, Letterman, the View, etc.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    "The strike is the first walkout by writers since 1988. That work stoppage lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry more than $500 million."

The industries OBVIOUSLY have the money. They need to just give those writers their contracts, a little more dough, and then both need to STFU so I can sit down and enjoy my television programs in peace.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    wga strike and what it means to us

http://filmonic.com/the-wga-strike-a...t-means-to-us/

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    No. This won't affect most television at all. Shows are created and filmed months, sometimes years in advance.
    That's not necessarily true. Most full season shows (20+ episodes) are filmed in advance, sure, but they're only ahead a few weeks. Some shows, take Smallville for example because that's one of the shows I've read this about, are even writing and filming a possible cliffhanger if those strikes would make a continuation of the season impossible. Then you'd have a couple of full season shows shortened to 10-15 episodes with most likely shoddy writing, hasty plots and a big turn-off for a final episode that shouldn't have been there at all.

I think it's a real concern that the viewer will be directly affected, but it won't really hurt the TV trackers all that much because they have other stuff to bridge the time.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    n00b
    yes, this will hit scripted shows soon... I know some programs are only 3-5 episodes ahead of the current week's episode. even if the strike only lasts 1 month, it will take time to get production caught up and we would see them running out of new episodes in december for most shows. Thankfully, I've got entire series-packs I haven't seen yet already downloaded.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    lol. no more movies and tv-eps for us :rofl:

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Most full season shows (20+ episodes) are filmed in advance, sure, but they're only ahead a few weeks. Some shows, take Smallville for example because that's one of the shows I've read this about, are even writing and filming a possible cliffhanger if those strikes would make a continuation of the season impossible. Then you'd have a couple of full season shows shortened to 10-15 episodes with most likely shoddy writing, hasty plots and a big turn-off for a final episode that shouldn't have been there at all.

I think it's a real concern that the viewer will be directly affected, but it won't really hurt the TV trackers all that much because they have other stuff to bridge the time.
    Some are filmed later than others, but scripts are written well in advance. Long before casting, location selection, and filming.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast