Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Downloading Music Stealing? Not In My...

Stealing or Not?

I download music.
    Some people believe that it's stealing.
    In my opinion, I don't think it is.

If it was stealing, then it would be going into a store and sneaking an object out to keep for yourself. When you go to the store to buy a music CD, that's not the same thing what you're getting when you DOWNLOAD an audio file. An audio file is NOT a music CD. When you download a song, thats not what you get when your buying a CD at the store, your getting a file on your computer.
    Stealing (in my opinon) is NOT downloading some data with YOUR own personal computer, but is physically taking something from someone and keeping it.

When you're downloading music on the computer, you're not downloading a music CD, your downloading an audio file.

Anyways, that's what I think, PLUS I'm Christian and I don't want to believe that it's stealing.
    Everybody let me know what your opinion is. If you think it's stealing or not.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    of course it's stealing

you're either blind or a fool (or a blind fool) not to 'see' that.
    downloading a file is the same as stealing a cd from a shop

after all, the songs on the cd are files too

downloading music is stealing, and is wrong. unless it's to feed your family of course, then there's a grey area

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    it's not stealing in my opinion.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    If you buy a music CD, you're buying a CD with audio files in them. You're not buying an "audio file" and that's it.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by BlizZ@1 July 2003 - 22:08
    If you buy a music CD, you're buying a CD with audio files in them. You're not buying an "audio file" and that's it.
    why do you ask for opinions and then disregard them if they disagree with your own opinion?

what about if you went to the shop, stole the cd, ripped the tracks to your computer, then put the cd back in the shop where you got it?
    is that stealing?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    No, I'm just saying what I think.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Downloading files is not theft. That would require an intent to permanently deprive the true owner, as you are making a copy then your are not doing that.

It is however breach of copyright. As you are doing this without the intention to make a pecuniary gain then the matter will normally be dealt with by civil law (they will sue you).

I'm not entirely convinced that a criminal case could be made, however I am almost certain that the CPS in England and the PF in Scotland would shun any such move. There simply isn't the time or resources to prosecute people who share for personal pleasure.

Obviously this is for the UK.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by BlizZ@1 July 2003 - 22:16
    No, I'm just saying what I think.
    yeah, but what do you think of my question?

what about if you went to the shop, stole the cd, ripped the tracks to your computer, then put the cd back in the shop where you got it?
    is that stealing?

also, you have to remember that opinion has nothing to do with the law...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+1 July 2003 - 22:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 1 July 2003 - 22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlizZ@1 July 2003 - 22:16
    No, I&#39;m just saying what I think.

is that stealing?

also, you have to remember that opinion has nothing to do with the law... [/b][/quote]
    See my last. It would not be theft per se.

However I&#39;m sure it would be some other offense (don&#39;t have the slightest idea what tho&#39.

Similar to taking a car and driving it without the owners consent. "Twocing" I think they call it. You don&#39;t intend to keep it from them, just take it and use it for a while then they can get it back.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by JPaul+1 July 2003 - 22:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 1 July 2003 - 22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@1 July 2003 - 22:25
    <!--QuoteBegin-BlizZ
    @1 July 2003 - 22:16
    No, I&#39;m just saying what I think.

is that stealing?

also, you have to remember that opinion has nothing to do with the law...
    See my last. It would not be theft per se.

However I&#39;m sure it would be some other offense (don&#39;t have the slightest idea what tho&#39.

Similar to taking a car and driving it without the owners consent. "Twocing" I think they call it. You don&#39;t intend to keep it from them, just take it and use it for a while then they can get it back. [/b][/quote]
    well, i&#39;ve got to say that i disagree with you on this one JPaul.
    i repsect your opinion, however, i maintain that downloading music is theft

i think we should agree to disagree on this one...

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast