Thread: Gigabit ethernet card??

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge

Question Mark

And so it's me yet again. I have a question about my ethernet . ATM I have onboard Ethernet adapter 10/100 connected to my Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I was thinking about getting a gigabit card but will I see any increase in internet speed here? Under the specs of the router it says 10/100M LAN so would I need to get a gigabit router to speed up my connection or would that not matter either? I am not sure what my max ISP bandwith is but I will find out tomorrow

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Unless your running an internet cafe I really doubt it will have any affect on your speeds. Unless you have some sort of crazy ISP who give you unlimited* speed with unlimited* bandwidth.

*but there is no such thing as unlimited.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Your going to see a very small increase in speed and I mean small. I have cat 6 cable running from a Dlink DIR-655 and two on board gig ethernets. I saw a very small jump in the speed nothing that would make me jump up and down for. Save your money unless of course you are paying for the extra bandwidth package from your ISP.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Thanks guys very helpful No need for it now, soon though

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    The link speed will always be the fastest speed available on the devices at each end of the link, so even after getting a gigabit capable card (actually 10/100/1000mbps) the fastest common speed is still 100mbps. Consequently you won't see any improvement at all.

To get a faster speed you would need to replace the router too but you would still only be affecting the speed of data between the PC and the router. That would be useful if you were transferring lots of data between PCs (assuming all devices had gigabit network capability) but the speed of the internet connection would not change.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.