Thread: New ram problems..

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    So I went out and bought another stick of 1gb ram. Its kingston ddr2 value something. Now that I have it installed im getting random CTD's with games and a few lockups. I noticed the sticker on the old samsung ram says pc5400 and the kingston stick I just installed says 5300. Both of these sticks are listed as compatible with my motherboard in the manual under the 667 column.

Could this be causing my woes? What else should I look at?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    What motherboard are you using?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    asus m2n-e

the ram is supported, I checked because its a really bad mobo for this kind of thing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Try it in another slot if you have it or maybe run Memtest ? The sticker could be wrong too it happens . What does a program like Sisoft Sandra give you .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'd pull out the original stick and just run just the new one and see if the problem persists.
    Run Memtest on it.

-Assuming it passes- put the original back in but switch the order the sticks are installed.
    Run Memtest on the pair.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Will do when I get home from work tonight. So having a stick of PC5300 and pc5400 at the same time shouldnt cause problems then?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It shouldn't cause any problems but every now and again it does.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    All DDRII is backward compatible just like regular DDR. The two sticks will just run at the lowest common frequency supported by the motherboard.

However you may still have a back stick of RAM.
    Depending on the store's return policy, I'd take it back just for the fuck of it and get another.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Heres the update. I ran the new stick solo for a few hours, played a game and it didnt cause any problems.

I get different results when I use different positions. If I run it in the dual channel configuration the computer boots and runs things no problem, i just get random CTD's and freezing. If I run the ram beside each other in the first two slots (b1, b2) the computer will boot but will restart at the windows screen. If I run them together in the second pair (a1,a2), it will only recognize 1gb of ram. Im running b2,a1 right now and I keep getting errors popping up in the task bar saying that things are corrupt, my winamp library is all fubar'd

I havnt tried b1,a2 yet.

I think I'm just going to return the ram and either try to find another samsung stick or just buy 2 new identical sticks. Heres what the manual says about ram, maybe you guys can make some sence about it.

Last edited by Smith; 11-09-2007 at 03:02 AM.