Thread: Seedbox ftp, broken downloads

Hello.

I'm using FTP voyager to transfer files from my seedbox to my pc but maybe 1 out of 5 times I'll get a broken video file after downloading(video will just be pixelated/skip or freeze)

It's started to become problematic because I have to sit and watch files completely before I can delete to free up space and not just know that the file is not broken and is watchable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Make sure you are transferring in binary mode.

The default mode when transferring from linux to windows is ascii mode, which will convert certain codes/code combinations. You would want that for a text file, but not for a data file.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks for the advice. I set it for binary and I will see how it goes.

Just had finished downloading a file, and watched it and there were numerous little skips and jumps.

Anyway thanks again.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Mabye try a different ftp client? like flashfxp
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I tried filezilla and I had the same issues.

I'm watching the video file that had the errors before changing to binary and saw one anomalies so far but I'm not sure if that was just an encoding error or something. But will double check for sure.

Went back to the other program and it says opening binary mode for transfer, so maybe it's already set at that even though it's messing up.

So I'm assuming transferring through ftp is usually pretty sound even with resumes?

Would setting up a private tracker and making it a torrent and dowloading it to my machine be a viable option? Because of built in error correction?

I'm a upload/tracker newb so I don't know how feasible this is, does it take alot of time for the file to convert to a torrent?

I appreciate the help.