Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with spyware scans

For some reason i'm unable to complete a full system scan of spyware on my machine. I had always used adaware se, but it kept freezing 3/4 of the way through, so I have tried switching to spydoctor and avg with the same result.

When using avg I can see that the freeze happens when the scan hits "c:\system volume information\tracking.log"

Anyone out there offer any reason why this should be happening?

I've run virus scans previous to this to be sure it's clean, so i'm guessing the problem is a piece of spyware etc?
    The Signature & Avatar Rules - No adverts or referral links

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Since you didn't state what O/S you're using I'm going to assume it's Win/XP.

Boot your PC into Safe Mode and run the Anti-Spyware software of your choice.

Post your results so others will know whether it works or not.

good luck.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sorry about the lack of info. I'm running windows xp pro corp sp2.

I tried the safemode, and the scan went pefectly and completed. It showed up a couple of threats which were promptly got rid of.

However when I started a second scan this morning from within the normall boot, I got the same freeze. It occur's on the exact same file name, and same object scan number each time.

Any ideas?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Just so you know I'm not spouting crap, I work in tech support and have started a business on my own doing the same thing.

I would suggest scheduling a check disk by going to start -> run -> typing "cmd" w/o the quotes, then in the commande prompt window, type "chkdsk/r" again w/o quotes. when it says it can't be run b/c the drive is in use and asked to be run on next reboot, allow it and then restart, it should run automatically. watch the process and see if it finds an fixes anything. if it doesn't that wasn't ur issue, if it does, theres a chance it fixed it, or some other issue or corrupt file you didn't know about. Really check disk is a good thing to run periodically in general.

Good luck!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ok tried the chkdsk, then tried running a scan again after the reboot. I'm still having the same problem, it still hangs on the same file name.

Anyone else??

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Try this:
    -Right click on my computer and go to properties.
    -Go to the system restore tab.
    -Select the "turn off system restore on all drives" option, and click ok and then yes to confirm the change.
    -Go back into properties and uncheck the box you just checked and then ok to turn system restore back on. Make sure it now says monitoring for all the drives.

Basically, the file your scan is hanging on is in the folder where the system restore save points are stored. By turning off and back on system restore, the save points are erased and so should be the offending file. Its better to do it this way, but if it doesn't work, try manually deleting the file. Or if you're not allowed to delete the file due to an "in use" warning message, use a program like Killbox to delete it, or try booting into safe mode and deleting it from there.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok now im confused, I tried the system restore method and had no joy. So tried to delete manually, however I can't find it by simple clicking, so I tried a full search function yet it doesn't show up.

The file is called "tracking.log" according to the scan, I see some file that have tracking name in them, but all are things i recognise from other software so safe. But no "tracking.log" shows up anywhere in the search?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    turn on "show hidden files and folders" and turn off "hide protected operating system files" in tools>folder options>view and try browsing to it via the file path you gave in your first post. OR make sure the search includes hidden files and or specify the search to look for .log files.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok have done that to try and find it, I can see the folder that the scan says the log is inside "c:/System Volume Information" yet when I right click to examine, its empty, and when I try to open it I get an access denied message. This is a single person machine so there is only my account on it, can't see why I shouldn't be able to open the folder?

Also searches that specify to look for "logs" don't come up with the tracking one?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have been using a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot S & D. There have been times when the new edition of Ad-Aware has been "difficult" and I would run Spybot, clean off anything it finds and then run Ad-Aware. This very often works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast