Thread: Videolan, Avi Preview, And Media Players

Poster
    I downloaded escaflowne 3 and 4 off kazaa. I used avi preview and i got gray screen. When they were done there was no picture, there was just sound and a grey screen too. I have newest full k-lite codec pack thing. Then i decided I would trey other media players and that didnt work either. Then i redownloaded again i used avi preview and same problem. So i decided to use videolan, and it worked. There was picture and sound. So far this has only worked in videolan whether the file was done or incomplete(Talking about escaflowne 3 and 4)

So I am just wondering makes vidoelan so special and why doesnt anything else work?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    it all started with ffmpeg. Read about it here.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I still dont understand really. But is it that videolan can use that ffmpeg and thats why it will work. Sorry i still confused.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I don't know ( and really don't care) why it works, but VideoLan is always my first choice when my WMP9 doesn't work on a file.
    If it had a slicker GUI I would make it my default player.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    But is it that videolan can use that ffmpeg and thats why it will work.
    I assume you know what a plug-in is, but here's a very quick recap. A plug-in is basically a small "extension" that is meant for a specific program. A codec is not a plug-in. The installer script that comes with the k-lite codec pack for instance will install the codecs on your computer, not to work with a specific program, but to work with all players that will use it. The original ffmpeg used codecs written from scratch. They are not genuine codecs, but can be thought of instead as "improvised" codecs. Some examples of programs that use those "improvised" codecs are ffdshow,ffvfw,video lan, and mplayer which is on par with the original ffmpeg. To make a long story short, just use video lan player because it bypasses any codecs you have installed and uses its own, which can be helpful if the codecs you have installed are conflicting or somehow screwed up.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Thanks for the help and the explanation.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    No problem
    its better to give... than to receive hehe