Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth paying for games?

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I'm not a massive gamer and I didn't build my new PC with games in mind. It does appear to cope reasonably O.K with newer games (the Crysis demo ran o.k) so am looking to pick up a few games (Bioshock, Company Of Heroes, Gears Of War).

As things stand I'm sharing a 2MB connection (a Virgin Media connection which is pretty crappy most of the time). The download speeds are picking up with time but as things stand most games (6GB in size) are looking to take 1 Week+ to complete.

Is it worth just buying these games (or at least the few big ones like Bioshock or Crysis). UK prices seem reasonable (around £20-£25 per game for most of the big ones which is cheaper than things like DVD television box sets) or should I save money and stick with the slow downloads.

Alongside this, how iffy can pirate versions of games be (aside from the things like install problems could cracked versions impact upon a system - memory leaks or even backdoor stuff added during cracking)?

So is it worth setting aside £50 a month for a game and DVD (most older boxsets are sub £20 so paired up with a game it averages out to £50) or should I just save the cash?

2. Games   -   #2
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Well I can answer my own question now.

I bought a copy of Bioshock (to save internet connection and save the uncertanty of installing patched games). Ironically it's much more problematic that cracked games that I've tried in the past, thanks to the implementation of SecuROM which requires a internet connection to a server to auto patch the file to complete the install. This isn't working (despite having an active connection and no visible blocks preventing the connection). There isn't an alternative to this validation either so if it doesn't work you're stuck

As alot of the other big games appear to have problems when bought (Gears Of War crashes a lot for example) I'll stick with the free alternatives.

3. Games   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    yes, bioshock is the sux in purchasing. as for ur question i ONLY buy pc games if the mp is good.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. Games   -   #4
    IceTee's Avatar Fo'shizzle my nizzle BT Rep: +2
    I download 99% of my games. (ps2 and now ps3 (waiting on a mod :p)

But there are 3 or 4 games that I don't mind paying for... even if it's just to "support" the people who make them...

>Pro Evolution Soccer
    >Grand Theft Auto
    >Metal Gear

AS for the rest... games are just like movies and music. It's just to damn! expensive to buy what you want to watch/play/listen...
    RIAA keeps trying to bring us down.
    They'll never win that fight... I just don't understand why they don't make these things cheaper.
    That would solve a lot of their problems.

5. Games   -   #5
    The vast majority of games aren't worth the full price, especially if you're not into multiplayer. I considered buying Crysis but when I heard it was a 10 hour game, I lost all hope.

BioShock was good but not worth $50. I actually paid for that one. Wait...no I didn't. I got it via trade-ins so I didn't really pay for it.

Thread Kreator, I'm not really a computer expert but I've been downloading games since May of Last year and I haven't had any viruses or abnormalities at all. I think only one game didn't work but I tried it again on my new build and it mysteriously worked. Some games might take a little tinkering to get them to work. You can usually find out how to get them to work by doing a search. It took my dumb ass two hours to get The Witcher working.
    Last edited by Herrick; 11-17-2007 at 03:12 AM.
    DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    the only reason to buy is if you want to play online but even then you should download the game first to check if its worth buying

7. Games   -   #7
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    as for ur question i ONLY buy pc games if the mp is good.
    I second that. Games like bioshock and oblivion shouldn't be bought, with a disregard for morality (lol), since you are getting the full game when you download them, unlike crysis and call of duy 4, in which case you miss the best part the game has to offer!
    Last edited by Ænima; 11-17-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling

8. Games   -   #8
    sexydingo's Avatar ☆Trance Addict☆ BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by rivendail View Post
    the only reason to buy is if you want to play online but even then you should download the game first to check if its worth buying
    Exactly what I do

9. Games   -   #9
    UntamedDarknes's Avatar Poster
    Well I mostly download everything now and the only thing that I do buy is something I think needs to be bought to work right or that I think deserves credit.

10. Games   -   #10
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    i download all of my PSP games.....i plan on bying most of my 360 games and downloading the ones that are not worth the cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast