Thread: NetGear DG834G V3 Router

speed2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Hi I have one of the above routers, is there any tips, tricks or hacks for this model do gain better torrent transfer speed.
    And also i have just moved from BT's IP stream to an LLU provider is there anything i can do to the router or PC to help speed increase

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Assuming you've forwarded the ports correctly, I can't think of any reason why the router should be affecting your torrent speed. If that's what you need help with please be a bit more specific.

If you thought that moving from a BT IPStream line to a LLU provider at the same speed (or sometimes faster) was going to help, then you've probably already found out that isn't necessarily the case. I'd be interested to know which ISP/package you went for.

My exchange isn't unbundled yet so I'm stuck with IPStream, but I'm still able to max out my d/l speed. It's a case of choosing your ISP carefully.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    speed2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Assuming you've forwarded the ports correctly, I can't think of any reason why the router should be affecting your torrent speed. If that's what you need help with please be a bit more specific.

If you thought that moving from a BT IPStream line to a LLU provider at the same speed (or sometimes faster) was going to help, then you've probably already found out that isn't necessarily the case. I'd be interested to know which ISP/package you went for.

My exchange isn't unbundled yet so I'm stuck with IPStream, but I'm still able to max out my d/l speed. It's a case of choosing your ISP carefully.
    Hi there and thanks for your response. i joined UK Online about a month ago and im on there 22mb package and my router is syncing at the full 22mb but im only gettin a throughput speed of 20mb do you think me switching to fast path (having interleaving switched off on my line) would help.
    UK Online say they are giving me the full 22mb coz my router is connecting at this and there for i should receive it. As my router is th DG834G and not the GT model i cant use DMT tool so this is why i asked for any tips and trick.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm not sure I understand, according to the information given by UK Online the fastest speed they offer is (up to) 16mbps.

However, if you've actually got that speed you need to remember the they are talking about the line speed, not the download speed. The line speed includes packet header overheads, serialisation, and other factors. These can easily add up to 10% of the bandwidth so if you are getting 20mbps download speed just say "Thanks, UK Online", because it sounds like you are genuinely getting the most out of your service.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.