Thread: Is it still safe to use USENET because of riaa

im def worrying about this new riaa threat against usenet is it still safe to use usenet services because i dont want riaa to haunt me down with my credit card on file with the usenet isp?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    If the Riaa ever went knocking on any usenet providers door they would spit in their face and close the door. Dont worry about it. Usenet is the safest way because no one knows or indexes what you download.
    Think about it.
    Usenet is 100% safe.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The RIAA can try and sue the providers (i.e. GigaNews, usenetserver) but they are in full compliance with the DMCA, so that will go no where. These companies have lots of money to defend their interest and the-powers-that-be only like easy targets.

And it's impossible to go after individual users on their own because there is no connection to peers like in p2p, only private servers.

In short,
    Usenet is 100% safe for the foreseeable future.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    If a newsgroups are accessed through one's ISP, does the probability of getting caught go up?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteBitten View Post
    If a newsgroups are accessed through one's ISP, does the probability of getting caught go up?
    No, they are responsible for the content hosted on their news server.
    But it is, the copyright holder's responsibility to notify the server's operator of the content so that it can be removed.

With Usenet the general rule is,
    Uploads are tracked, so that if there is a take down notice given the person that put that content there can be punished. While downloads are not tracked.