Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Friend Has The Shitest Computer Ever

Poster
    Windows 98 Minumum Requirements
    Windows 98 requires the following: Computer/processor: 486DX/66 MHz or higher processor.
    Memory: 24 megabytes (MB) of memory; more memory improves performance.
    Hard disk: -When using FAT16 File system, typical installation requires 260 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 210 MB and 400 MB, depending upon system configuration and options selected
    -When using FAT32 File system, typical installation requires 210 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 190 MB and 305 MB, depending upon system configuraiton and options selected. Typical installation requires approximately 205 MB of free hard-disk space, but may range between 140 MB to 315 MB, depending on your system configuration and the options you choose to install.
    Drive: CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (3.5" high-density disks available for additional charge).
    Display: VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
    Peripheral/miscellaneous: Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
    As you can see, Windows 98 requires an minimum of 66 MHz. Therefore the statement the you have seen it run on 3 MHz is completely wrong. I guess you don't know what you are talking about.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Palm m130 - 8 MB Handheld $299

Battery Type Lithium Ion
    Connection Port(s) USB
    CPU Speed 33 MHz Processor
    Display type LCD
    Expansion Slot Yes - Secure Digital/MMC
    Flash Upgradeable Yes
    Included In Box Cable, Manual, CD, Guide, Expansion Card
    Keyboard type Onscreen
    Memory Size (RAM) 8 MB
    Modem Type Optional
    MP3 Capable No
    Operating System Palm OS 4.1
    Operating System Compatibility Windows 98+, Mac OS 9+
    Pen Entry Yes
    Resolution 160 x 160 Pixels
    ROM 2 MB
    Spreadsheet Yes
    Voice Recording No
    Warranty 1 Year Limited Parts & Labour
    Word processor Yes

(A typical palm pilot)
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    I don't think 3MHz box's even exist. Even if they did they would have trouble running Windows 3.1 .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    The first ibm pc's ran at 4.7MHz.
    No 'ibm compatible' pc's have ever run slower than that.

There were other machines around at the same time which were 'faster' (and we are talking about 3-4 times as fast) than the ibm's, but actually had a clock speed of 2MHz. They didn't use the crappy intel chip (or architecture) or course.

Unfortunately, ibm's size forced these companies to change their strategies and bringing out 'ibm compatibles', which is a shame considering ibm had backed what was just about the worst chip available at the time. The only manufacturer to buck this trend was apple (mac).

Ibm later brought out a range of machines based on the same chip set as the mac (which is in fact the same architecture which ibm had rejected all those years before), and called it the powerPC range.

This architecture (and I am talking about instruction layout rather than chip design), being much simpler yet in many ways more refined than the intel product, can run at much lower frequencies for the same processor power (in some ways AMD are getting there with the intel based layout).

Ibm must be kicking themselves in so many ways.
    They went for the wrong chip design - intel.
    They designed a machine with the rom above the memory, thereby blocking future memory expansion.
    They chose an unproven software company to build them an OS, and gave away the rights to any future operating systems too.

With hindsight, if we could turn the clocks back 25 years and pick the right hardware and software solutions, we could be looking forward to machines that don't get hot whilst providing our solutions about twice as quickly as we do at present (or perhaps ones that get hot and run 10 times as fast).

And while 3MHz would still not be acceptable, it might be more understandable.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    he's p00r

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by LeUaNt|cS@20 July 2003 - 17:44
    I don't think 3MHz box's even exist. Even if they did they would have trouble running Windows 3.1 .
    Wat about DOS 1.0?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    does he have a turbo button that makes it go 5 mhz??? lmfao my friend has 1 like that its 12 mhz and like it only takes 2 mins to boot up its windows 3.1 and he uses it to play those little ay ass games and then hes got like 2 laptops and 2 computers all of em custimized

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Ops i made a typo at the Start of post my friend's computer is 300mhz NOT 3mhz..
    i do Apoligize.....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Oh thats nowhere near as impressively crap as 3MHz, that should run win98 without problems. MAybe he should format it & install a better webbrowser than ie, so that it takes less resources (maybe opera or mozilla firebird?)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    imported_The__One
    300Mhz isn't that bad, I still have a 300Mhz computer (don't use it much tho...) And I run Windows 2000 on it, with appz like Photoshop 7, 3D Stduio MAX....things load a bit slower, but it's still perfectly usable...unlike a 75Mhz toshiba notebook I own

And even if U don't have paitience to use machine's that old, thay are perfect for web servers and stuff like that B)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast