Thread: Cd-drive

Keikan's Avatar ........
    Ya i got a laptop and its a Toshiba 2100cds
    AMD k-6 400mhz
    32mb RAM
    Win98

See i got a cd drive and it doesn't work anymore, i remember i got an error abotu the d drive but i don't remember it anyways not the cd drive doesn't work, the lens looks clean and i checked the driver and the thing said the device is working properly ao can anyone help me?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Not much info to go on but it seems like an old system. CD drives do not have a very long life. Moving mechanical parts usually wear out after a few years. The lens might be okay, even the driver doesn't have to show anything wrong with it but the motor or any other part might have just quit their service.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    The reading light comes on and you can hear it spining

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    So what is your problem?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    It don't read

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    so it suddenly just stopped working one day? U didn't install any software that was cd related (like nero or daemon tools or anything like that) ? Cos if thats the case then chances are ur cd drive has broken, theres other moving parts in there apart from the just spinning the cd (eg the motor moving the laser could be jammed or too inaccurate to allow proper reading) and theres unmoving parts which can break as well. U'll probably have to get a new one as repair is almost certainly more expensive than replacing it, but cd drives (or even cdrw) drives aren't too expensive.