Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast and Bittorent in Eastern USA

matt526's Avatar Poster
    I am just wandering if anyone is using Comcast in the Mid-Atlantic or Virginia area and have noticed a dramatic drop in bittorent speeds mostly upload speeds. and if you have called comcast on it.
    I have noticed a dramatic drop in speed and this was even after I
    upgraded to Comcast fastest internet plan. "Internet Blast"
    I am getting maybe 500Kbps down and 44Kbps Up
    I was getting 1.2Mps and 230Kbps

any thoughts?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    it happened to me months ago. i'm on the west coast btw. my solution was to get a second uncapped cable modem.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    yes ive noticed it sucks anymore hey hows that second modem thing work whats the hows
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Soon all Comcast users will have their uploads throttled. They've already implemented their "sandvine" in many regions and it won't be long before every member of Comsuck has their p2p privilages stripped away from them. In other words, this company is very anti-p2p and they're attempting to monopolize the internet provider world.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    UntamedDarknes's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy View Post
    Soon all Comcast users will have their uploads throttled. They've already implemented their "sandvine" in many regions and it won't be long before every member of Comsuck has their p2p privilages stripped away from them. In other words, this company is very anti-p2p and they're attempting to monopolize the internet provider world.
    How are they going to monopolize the ISP world when they are throttling all there file sharing protocols? Any ISP that is not throttling file sharing traffic will be able to monopolize the internet market in time comcast is going to lose a ton of customers.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Thats why I pay $13.50 a month for basic local channels only and use 3 hacked cable modems. Comcast can kiss my ass. I wouldnt mind paying $40 a month for REAL unfiltered high speed. Matter of fact, once FiOS is here, I will definately subscribe.

But I am not paying for service where they will cut you off for downloading too much, will throttle your usenet speed at their descretion or institute Sandvine shaping.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    UntamedDarknes like they go out to areas dialup doesn't even work (like where I'm at) and in their monopoly areas they charge about $160 a month for 1megbit/s upload.

There is a reason I uncapped: because why should I pay $65 a month for shitty throttled speeds where people 20 miles away pay $15 a month for off of the same node even!

The uncapping has done wonders. You still need a proxy to get around the throttling but now I'm uploading 24/7 at about 160kB/s average vs the 30kB/s max I was limited to in the past.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by UntamedDarknes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy View Post
    How are they going to monopolize the ISP world when they are throttling all there file sharing protocols? Any ISP that is not throttling file sharing traffic will be able to monopolize the internet market in time comcast is going to lose a ton of customers.
    Which is why I said "attempting".

Fact of the matter is, Comcast goes a lot of places that others (Qwest, Cox, etc.) do not. And I won't lie, in my area they offered excellent prices for 8mb down and 1mb up.

I live in southern Arizona and finally decided to move away from the city a bit. Moved up near this mountain outside city limits and only 2 internet providers were available, Comcast and Qwest. Because of the area, it would cost me an arm and a leg to receive CRAP speeds from Qwest (1mb down)... and then there was Comcast with their amazing speeds and prices. Little did I know what it would do to my torrent world.

Needless to say I found out they were capping my upload speeds, and I tried absolutely everything I could find to weave my way around their bullsh*t. Nothing worked. I hear it's very easy to side-step if you're using linux but there are very few methods for us WinXP users, and even then nothing is guarenteed to work. They just hit my area hard and came down like friggin' Thor's Hammer.

My eventual fix? Moved back into my old apartment complex in the city and got my beloved, sweet Cox cable back.

Yes, they are going to lose customers (I'm a prime example), but not everyone will be so lucky or be able to switch internet providers.

May they rot in hell, I say!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    The OS doesn't have anything to do with uncapping. The configuration file you download from your isp, when your modem first boots online, determines the up/down speed. There are various ways to change this file.

I'm considering putting together a tutorial for the FST guide section. Although, there tons of great resources already available on the net. A quick Google search will provide you with everything you need.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast