Thread: Unrepairable files

pbjabba's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    I downloaded a movie but 2 of the rar's are corrupt (only 20 of 21 parts according to newsleecher), and the par's that were posted with it are useless (they only check the first rar). Is there anyway to ignore the errors during extraction and just blank the few seconds of video im missing? or am i just screwed?
    And you know what? Macs are too hip. "Oh, look at me! I do graphic design! I wear women's jeans and hang out in coffee shops! I'm a DJ!" Well good for you. My computer is not a fashion statement. It's a computer.
    - Looking for HDBits.org invite - Thanks Magnum

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    dnero73's Avatar Poster
    this is where torrents come in handy this happened to me it was a common scene ripped movie so i downloaded the rars i was missing and then seeded back everything

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pbjabba View Post
    I downloaded a movie but 2 of the rar's are corrupt (only 20 of 21 parts according to newsleecher), and the par's that were posted with it are useless (they only check the first rar). Is there anyway to ignore the errors during extraction and just blank the few seconds of video im missing? or am i just screwed?
    I believe that the repair n' extract with newsleecher is still highly experimental.
    I'd run that pars through quickpar and see what happens.

Beyond that, try and re-download the effected rars.
    If that still fails, and you want to try it. Hit the "extract to" icon and select keep broken files (with winrar).

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Yes, I would only use quickpar for repair. I would also check other groups where the files have been crossposted. It might be complete in another group or even different usenet server.

A last resort would be to ask the poster to repost rars or and additional pars.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dnero73 View Post
    this is where torrents come in handy this happened to me it was a common scene ripped movie so i downloaded the rars i was missing and then seeded back everything
    That's what I also do

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Newsbin Pro will download only the pars it needs, repair and extract, and delete the rars/pars if you so desire. Even the older 5.x versions carry this feature.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    pbjabba's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by dnero73 View Post
    this is where torrents come in handy this happened to me it was a common scene ripped movie
    I already checked for a torrent but couldn't find one, it was scene, but not very common apparently

I've already downloaded some of the par's and ran it through quickpar, all that happens is it says the first rar is misnamed, which it isn't as the pattern is the same as the 40 or so rars. Its the first time i've come across original par files instead of par2's so i thought i needed to repair it differently but quickpar supports them as well. At this stage i think i might need to ask for a repost as the par's that were originally posted seem pretty useless
    And you know what? Macs are too hip. "Oh, look at me! I do graphic design! I wear women's jeans and hang out in coffee shops! I'm a DJ!" Well good for you. My computer is not a fashion statement. It's a computer.
    - Looking for HDBits.org invite - Thanks Magnum