Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Windows Media 9

Hey guys, I recently got a pop up to install windows media player 9, I really do not wanna do this (tried the beta, hated it, gave some kind of copyrighted meterial bullshit) Anyways I wanna stop this from coming so my girlfreind does not instal it. Can it be done, and if so how. I posted this on the microsoft newsgroup, but ofcourse no reply.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    chalkmongoose
    It popped up during when?
    And also, WMP9 Final is so much better than the beta versions or the alpha versions if you bothered to track those down.
    Windows Media Player shouldn't be popping that stuff up, but if does go to preferences and disable check for updates.
    Also, if its popping up anywhere else, you have spyware.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It popped up when i closed the program, Window media player, after watching something. I know it was not spyware i do not have any, and it was legit. It just said that an updtae was available, i thought it was like a normal type, codec update or something so i said yes, and it was windows media 9. But I will check out the disabeling thing, you know i actually just realized that i did not even look before posting - my bad. I figured it would be tougher thatn that (seeing it is microsft.)

Maybee i wil try it again next time right before I am gonna reformat. I just cannot be bothered to use trust the shite restore utility.

Edit: I checked in the options for WMP, and the only way that you can chane the updates is once a week, once a day or once a month. So it can just be turned off. I have windows updates turned off, so can i turn this stupid update off.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DO NOT USE NUMBER 9 I SWEAR WINDOWS SPYS ON WHATEVER U LISTEN OR WATCH I SWEAR I AM WARNING U THEY SPY AND CALL THE POLICE AND BANG U DED!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by AznRocky@21 July 2003 - 05:31
    DO NOT USE NUMBER 9 I SWEAR WINDOWS SPYS ON WHATEVER U LISTEN OR WATCH I SWEAR I AM WARNING U THEY SPY AND CALL THE POLICE AND BANG U DED!
    and the award for hyperbole goes to....

(drumroll please)

AznRocky

btw, you can disable the unique player id in options
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by AznRocky@21 July 2003 - 05:31
    DO NOT USE NUMBER 9 I SWEAR WINDOWS SPYS ON WHATEVER U LISTEN OR WATCH I SWEAR I AM WARNING U THEY SPY AND CALL THE POLICE AND BANG U DED&#33;
    Well i think that may be an exaggeration, but yes that is part of the reason that i do not want to use it. So now i need to know how to stop my girlfreind from installing, and I cannot keep her away from my comp. She also refuses to use the limited account that i created for her.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by toddiscool@21 July 2003 - 05:36
    Well i think that may be an exaggeration, but yes that is part of the reason that i do not want to use it. So now i need to know how to stop my girlfreind from installing, and I cannot keep her away from my comp. She also refuses to use the limited account that i created for her.
    just tell her not to accept?
    or maybe stick a note beside the monitor to remind her
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+21 July 2003 - 05:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 21 July 2003 - 05:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-toddiscool@21 July 2003 - 05:36
    just tell her not to accept?
    or maybe stick a note beside the monitor to remind her [/b][/quote]
    You do not know my girlfreind. If she were to ever come on this board she would earn the title of biggest n00b alive. I would not even help her. She will accepte sooner or later, I will get home from work and she will say as she always does &#39;your computer is fucking up".

So i would like to avoid this crisis if posible. She will update it, I guarantee it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    chalkmongoose
    Actually, you do have a point about Microsoft. Unless you like mucking with your registry settings, you really WON&#39;T be able to completely turn things off, or at least within WMP.
    Do this:
    Get a firewall if you don&#39;t already have one.
    Turn it on, and turn on learning mode (asks on any connection)
    Go into Windows Media Player, select "check for updates" and let it check.
    When your firewall informs you of what WMP is doing, select BLOCK and check Always Use this Action.
    That will block ALL ports used by WMP to check for updates from ever allowing WMP to run through them.

I do this, and it works great.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You people are paranoid...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast