Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hdbits news

anyone like this new system?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    What new system? btw, if there is a new system, hdbits has a forum I haven't got my posting privileges revoked there. I guess, neither do you.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    just read it, I think they're trying to follow FTN rules which really effective to prevent users from hit & run...... well in some cases it really helps, but sometimes could caused a trouble, eg : some weeks ago while I'm downloading stuffs from FTN my internet connection got disconnected for 2 days, unfortunately I'm out of town so when I went back I got a warning msg from FTN

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i hope they wont change it..
    and i have a quite bad connection..

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    awoeonip's Avatar Need a light? BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    i hope they don't change it. people complain alot but i don't think it's hard at all to seed on that site. plus, when every torrent is >4gb, it's nice to be able to hit and run on well seeded torrents provided that you seed the less popular ones.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Rockin to the beat BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    I'm with you I don't think its hard at all. I just uploaded close to 80GB in the last two days. I think people just don't know how to pick torrents wisely. Plus hdbits has a lot of freeleech torrents so theres really no excuse for a bad ratio. And now they are even offering freeleech for a day or so.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    either way sounds good to me. I have not had any problems with my ratio but I have dl'd some freeleech stuff I didn't need to get it up.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by boobly View Post
    I'm with you I don't think its hard at all. I just uploaded close to 80GB in the last two days. I think people just don't know how to pick torrents wisely. Plus hdbits has a lot of freeleech torrents so theres really no excuse for a bad ratio. And now they are even offering freeleech for a day or so.
    Well maybe they pick torrents for what they are (needed for viewing and not for ratio boosting) and that some users do not have seedboxes.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    what?
    they removed ratio there?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boobly View Post

Well maybe they pick torrents for what they are (needed for viewing and not for ratio boosting) and that some users do not have seedboxes.
    Exactly what I wanted to write! Props to you SgtMajor!

Quote Originally Posted by usersec View Post
    what?
    they removed ratio there?
    "So, there've been some discussions amongst staff on how to deal with ratio. In other words, we know that it can be extremely difficult to seed on this site. Furthermore, we're also not happy with the low amount of downloaders, which is probably also related to seeding difficulties.

The proposed solution is to implement a system where you have to seed a certain number of days if you cannot actually upload the required amount on the torrent to get a proper ratio. After you've seeded this number of days, you can then stop with no penalty, if you wish. The number of days will vary based on the size of the torrent. Of course, if you actually manage to reach the required ratio (which will likely be bumped up to 0.8) on the torrent by plain uploading, you can stop any time after that.

Now, what would happen if you don't meet the requirement for ratio OR time seeded is you'd get marked as hit and run on that torrent. If you get enough hit and runs, you will not be able to download new torrents. If you refuse to fix it after a certain amount of time, then you get banned.

Of course, there will likely be limits in place to prevent users from downloading 50 torrents in a very short period of time and then poorly attempting to seed them all and abuse the system.

It'd almost certainly have a minimum seed:leecher ratio for this to kick in, as a further measure to help prevent abuse.

The benefit of this system is that even low bandwidth users will be able to download and not have to worry about destroying their ratio and getting banned. The intent is to promote increased downloading on this site, while still requiring users to seed.

(and yes, before anyone asks, I've basically gotten the idea from Blackcats)

We would like YOUR input on this system. Namely, we need to know what a good amount of time is for required seeding (which will vary according to size, so 1GB TV shows will take much less than a 50GB bluray). We'd also like your input on how to display which torrents are hit and runs in the user's detail page.

Edit: just to clarify, upload and download are still counted in your stats.

Uploading on a torrent will reduce the time required to seed (so if you hit a ratio of 0.5 on it and then your upload stalls, you'll need to seed less time than someone who has 0.1).

Certain user classes will likely be exempt from the hit and run system (vips, uploaders, cappers, most likely) as a reward for their contributions."
    Last edited by quaero; 11-23-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Sharing since 1999.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast