Thread: What's Clocker been up to?

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    C'mon man I know something has to be cooking. Have you done anything with the g5 case mod?? Somethin man give me something.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sorry, no progress on the G5- it really deserves newer hardware than my antiquated s939 kit*- but I have been refining the Gateway.

Currently mulling a rather extensive structural revamp that would correct an aesthetic flaw that drives me crazy but it's a lot of work for no performance gain.

*Actually, were it not for my ill-considered selloff of DDR RAM last year (sold 6 x 1GB sticks for the bargain basement price of $175) the stalwart Opteron setup would still be completely viable.
    Unfortunately, at today's prices replacing DDR is a real deal breaker given the dirt cheap DDR2 that is so common.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Funny you should say that I was noticing that the other day. I need some DDR too and so I figured hey DDR2 is so freakin cheap how much could regular DDR cost? Was I surprised. I have been checking CraigsList and found som good cheap deals there but who knows about the condition till you get home

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yeah, I know.

DDR seems to have fallen off the face of the earth which is odd given that it was the defacto standard for so long (at least as PC hardware is measured).

There have been a couple of large quantity sales on eBay lately- 50 x 1GB Samsung modules- but they are clearly labeled "defective" and it's too much of a crapshoot to bid on them.

I would dearly love to get my iRAM card up and running again but at this point it would be cheaper to buy one of those new solid state laptop drives- which have a larger capacity and don't require a PCI slot- than to buy 4 x 1GB of DDR to populate the iRAM.

Meh.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Even though DDR ram is about twice the price of DDR2, expensive is hardly the word I'd use. Of course, I'm talking ordinary cooking memory, if you want super-spicy memory you might pay as much as 4 times the price for DDR compared to DDR2.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    still it seems to me that they are up to DDR3 already so DDR should come down even more that it has, but maybe I'm cheap

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    still it seems to me that they are up to DDR3 already so DDR should come down even more that it has, but maybe I'm cheap
    That logic- except for the "maybe I'm cheap" part- is faulty.

Have you looked at DDR3 prices?

I can see how shifting production to DDR2 might cause prices of older RAM to stay high- sheesh, just look at SD RAM for example- but even my normally trusty forum classifieds are bereft of cheap DDR.
    When I consider the expense of adding more memory to my system I have to factor in the fact that it's obsolete and I'm investing in a black hole.
    Normally this wouldn't bother me but for about an extra $100 I could get a whole new Core2Duo platform...board, chip and RAM- that would seriously outperform my s939 stuff.

A no-brainer, that.