Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use different password for different bt site?

I've used KeyPass for about a year; it generates and saves my usernames & pw's, and saves a backup automatically with one of it's addons. The firefox pw manager is great, but I do worry about losing that data

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    YoYoY's Avatar Am Livin' It BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    yes i use different passwords
    i just remember them , i mean i don't use anything to remember them

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I use different passwords for everything on the internet, whether it be my email, bank account, FST login, or torrent sites. An elephant never forgets.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    bikernin's Avatar KatanaLover BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    i store all my passwords in a neat excel spreadsheet and rar it and password protect it. one copy on pc one on my usb

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    An easy trick is to come up with some random string of characters (say h5rjf8) that you memorize... then add some combination that is unique to each site to this string (say use the last two letters of the domain name before and after your string)... using this site as example your password is lh5rjf8k... now, you have a unique and random password for each site you log into that you won't easily forget...

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    An easy trick is to come up with some random string of characters (say h5rjf8) that you memorize... then add some combination that is unique to each site to this string (say use the last two letters of the domain name before and after your string)... using this site as example your password is lh5rjf8k... now, you have a unique and random password for each site you log into that you won't easily forget...
    There was an article over at Lifehacker about creating and remembering unique passwords, very similar to herb's suggestion. I didn't read the entire post before, but after re-reading it just now I see it's actually a damn good idea

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    While SgtMajor's tutorial gets to the point, it is lacking in user security. Saving a password to a text file is NOT safe.

I recommend creating a password with Extreme Password Generator Pro, which is completely portable program (leave-no-trace, flash drive friendly). And, of course, create a password of at east 20 characters. Also, it is recommended to create a unique password, and username for that matter, for each tracker/forum/email/etc, if only for optimal security.

Steganos Locknote is a program that is completely portable, consists of one tiny .exe file, password-protected (protect your passwords with a password!), and is encrypted by that password.

Details from the Download site:
    Why use Steganos LockNote?
    • Store your most valuable notes as a LockNote
      Hide your serial numbers, passwords, phone numbers and everyday notes in a safe place. Your informations will be encrypted using a password and most modern AES 256bit encryption technology.
    • Secure, yet simple
      Just double-click a LockNote and enter your password to access your text files as usual.
    • No installation required
      Move LockNotes wherever you want, as often as you want. A LockNote document does not require much more hard drive space than an unencrypted document.
    • Encrypt existing text files in no time at all
      Simply drag and drop existing text files on a LockNote window: they will be encrypted automatically.
    • Open and free
      LockNote is open source and is based upon open source technologies, e.g. the certified CryptoPP program library for strong encryption.
    Yes, and be sure not to forget that one password for LockNote! And label the stored passwords for that matter!
    Last edited by Ænima; 11-28-2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: heavy revision

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicker View Post
    yes only for higher level i remeber them bcz they are my Phone Numbers and My Brother's Phone Number
    hey flicker let me call you sometime, whats your #?

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    my brain

i write it down type it enough times then i remember and it's allways different and unquie from the previous password i suppose that way if something went missing i know i'm not to blame to a certain degree
    Last edited by sleepyy; 11-28-2007 at 05:01 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicker View Post
    yes only for higher level i remeber them bcz they are my Phone Numbers and My Brother's Phone Number
    hey flicker let me call you sometime, whats your #?
    ...and the anti-lulz arrives.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast