Thread: Could anyone please explain seedboxes to me?

I understand how they have a higher upload speed, blah blah blah. But why would someone pay 60+dollars a month just to seed some free stuff they got off of the internet? You could just seed at a normal rate, and wait a bit (ok, a lot) longer to reach an ideal ratio.

So, basically, why would anyone spend so much money on stuff they get for free, when you can do the same thing with some more time?
    Looking for Waffles.fm/What.cd/TorrentLeech invites.
    To be honest, I'm a noob and have nothing to trade, so you wouldn't get anything in return..except helping a newbie.
    I don't leech.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    1) Slow home connection.
    2) On certain trackers, unless you join the swarm early, it's hard to seed back 1:1.
    3) Build up a buffer across several sites.
    4) Bragging rights.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    personal preferance, and also Fibre's #2, yes it gets very hard to seed back, if your not early, one example can be bitmetv :whistlin
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Really? I've always used public trackers, usually with older torrents, so if 40kb/s upload is slow, than what's fast?

I'm pretty new in the realm of super fast uploads/downloads, seeing as I've never been apart of a private tracker. XD
    Looking for Waffles.fm/What.cd/TorrentLeech invites.
    To be honest, I'm a noob and have nothing to trade, so you wouldn't get anything in return..except helping a newbie.
    I don't leech.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I've gotten up to 5 MB/second on mine.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    if I may ask; do you not have to dl the files to your pc using your home connection? As I understand it, the seedbox is external but can be control from your pc. So you will still take time to dl those file back, and if your home connection is slow then it will still take time to get the files.
    I can understand the advantage of it for seeding.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Assume its the sheer volume you can grab via the seedbox which you can then transfer to home at your leisure which is attractive to most + the ability to choose more obscure downloads without worrying about ratio etc