Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Usenet

josephs911's Avatar Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well I finally decided to make the jump, but now I have a question what service would you recommend. Currently The two i have in mind are NewsDemon, and Giganews what does everyone else use, and are there any tips or anything I should know before starting the whole usenet thing. I have also looked at Newshosting & UseNetServer but neither of them seemed to meet my needs. So any help with this will be wonderful.

Thanks
    “When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I like Giga it provides encryption. I'm not sure if newsdemon does.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    josephs911's Avatar Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenth View Post
    I was a little unsure about the whole encryption thing, is that like the encryption in torrenting meaning it disguises your traffic, and is it slower?
    “When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I just switched from UseNetServer to Giganews and I LOVE IT. Speeds are awesome and you can't beat the 200 day retention.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by josephs911 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenth View Post
    I was a little unsure about the whole encryption thing, is that like the encryption in torrenting meaning it disguises your traffic, and is it slower?
    Encryption disguises what you're downloading essentially.

Even IF someone were to look at what you're downloading, they wouldn't be able to tell whether you're downloading movies, to ebooks, or text files.

Also, I highly recommend Giganews.

make sure to use one the referral links from FST.

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by start View Post
    I just switched from UseNetServer to Giganews and I LOVE IT. Speeds are awesome and you can't beat the 200 day retention.
    I also switched from UseNetServer to Giganews. DO NOT go with UseNetServer, they are having issues with speed. They have too many users without the infrastructure to handle them. Also do not go with Thundernews, they are a sub-company of UseNetServer and are having the same problems.

I can not say enough good things about Giganews. Not a single issue, and 200 days retention really comes in handy. You don't really need encryption unless your ISP is doing some kind of traffic shaping.

Giganews is the most expensive Usenet provider, but they are worth it.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    giganews or Ngroups.net

hands down.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Ngroups.Net

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Giganews, if you can afford it, is the BEST usenet provider in the business. Noone can argue this point. It's a fact.

But, for $10 a month Ngroups.net is nice.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Hellmonkeys's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Yeah, Ngroups.net is great. I am paying $10/month for unlimited bandwidth and 12 connections. The speeds are actually really good, using 12 connections I would get 6MB+/sec on my 100Mbit box. However, I have noticed once in awhile the speeds were really slow... but that's rare. For the price, it's worth it... Screw $25/month It does only have 100 days retention, but still, that's good...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast