Thread: Computer/Internet/BT Security

Rad Dude BT Rep: +1
    I tried searching for this subject...but wasn't able to turn up any adequate results. I'm curious what everyone uses for security towards their internet activities? Not just in relation to bit torrent (although I'm mainly curious about that), but also internet security in general. I use the following:

My Security on 32-bit XP:

Disabled Windows Firewall...
    Peerguardian2
    uTorrent IP filter
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    NOD32 Antivirus
    Zonelabs Zonealarm Pro

The problem with switching to 64 is that hardly any firewall support is available...and if it is you usually have to pay for it. I did come across Outpost Firewall 4.0 Pro. Which is available here:

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/download.php

Of course you can only have a 30 day trial for the 64-bit version...but fortunately I have uploading the following fix for that:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CKBGLZBN

So if anybody was in need of 64 bit firewall...there you go!

I have also been using the following as a means to update my uTorrent IP Filter:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4SLVQ1A8

I have also heard of "Traffic Shaping" would anyone care to elaborate on this subject?

Please let me know what you all use on your systems...other operating systems are of special interest to me as well!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I'm running the spyware doctor every now and then but seeing as my only browser is Firefox (or another gecko based application) there's little need for that except to remove some cookies I don't care much about. Some ads profile tracking isn't really a security issue, especially when you're using an adfilter.

For a long time I have used McAfee products on my PC - both firewall and virus scanner - but while they are certainly easy and comfortable to use and maintain for an offline PC or laptop they don't satisfy at all on my main PC. The obvious reasons: numerous memory overflows and code loops that cause 100% load disturb everything you do as soon as you have a constant data throughput.

In order to stop dealing with crappy security software on my desktop PC I'm now using my linux based HTPC as a router and firewall and it's working very well even with bluray/hddvd playback thanks to the correct graphics card. I'm not so happy about the multiple uses for the once to audio- and video playback limited HTPC but it certainly beats issues because of some application. A third unit is out of the question, it'd only be more power usage.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    i just use sygate, which is an excellent firewall in my eyes, and regularly run spybot and adaware
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    are you talking about security like anti virus or security like anti fbi?

the best security is at least a socks proxy that you have access to but have no traces to yourself from it except another proxy IP or your own IP. if someone wanted to shove a warrant at someone's face who hosts the proxy they will give up your info especially if you pay so it has to be someone who doesn't know your name, anything about you, and you don't pay for. that is the safest type of proxy. that and one that doesn't leak any info about you as well.

i could go on..

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    wtf fst... delete this post please
    Last edited by DanielleD87; 11-28-2007 at 09:58 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6

7. BitTorrent   -   #7

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    LOL, yeah it loads for ages when your trying to post, but browsing is fine
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    Get yourself behind a NAT router.