Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared Noob seeks guidance

I just received a cease and desist letter from Paramount pictures.

However, I am wondering whether this means I could just switch over to Usenet or some other option safer than public torrents and continue on my way? Maybe just avoid Paramount?

Or am I on some kind of watch-list by my ISP where any major traffic will be scrutinized and passed on as potential evidence?

Thanks for any advice.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    If you plan on switching to a safer way of downloading, just discard the letter and begin moving.

You may want to read this thread:
    https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/4...ngement-Notice
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I did read that and I wasn't certain whether to start a new thread or hijack that one. Sorry If I did the wrong thing.

I guess my question is: Am I being actively monitored since I've already been caught once? In which case it would be best not to swipe anything by any means.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Hund View Post
    I guess my question is: Am I being actively monitored since I've already been caught once? In which case it would be best not to swipe anything by any means.
    If it's your first letter, chances are you are not. Remember, they send hundreds of those every day.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Just stay the hell away from places like Piratebay, demonoid, isohunt, btjunkie, etc. Those are heavily monitored.
    Moving to a usenet provider with SSL enabled will be the end of your worries. If you don't plan on spending a few bucks per month, then try to get invite to some private tracker. It will be hard for people to trust a newcomer with an invite, but you never know.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Shinzen's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Or else stick with jus ocr links with ddl boards

File hosting such megaupload , fileserver provide premium speed at free downloads

there are lots of bbs available out there sign up n keep leeching
    Last edited by Shinzen; 11-04-2010 at 11:33 AM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Thanks for the quick, and mind-easing, replies.

I got set up with Newshosting and it seems alright. So hopefully no more scary letters.

8. File Sharing   -   #8

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by godofhell View Post
    Besides (possibly) some extra piece of mind and encryption overhead, what would SSL offer you? It's a nice touch, yes, but as long as your ISP can see the initial negotiation, they can potentially decrypt all the traffic. I'd say that if the idea here is just avoiding anti-P2P companies, an unencrypted connection to a trusted news server is enough.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Admittedly a Uberkadoober Noob here, but when I signed up with Newshosting they claimed that all accounts had free ssl included. I changed the port to the default ssl port 563. Is there another step I'm supposed to take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast