Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Day (turned Into A Leech)

nyer82's Avatar Member
    Today I turned into a leech. I used to be sharing about 1500 files, almost all copyrighted music etc. I never shared movies, because I always hated the quality and I thought you get a good deal when you buy a DVD (at least in the US where some are 10-15 dollars) I had peerguardian, kazaa lite new version, all the precautions. But it wasn't enough.

First off I live in the USA.

Second, Verizon DSL is my ISP.

Because Verizon is my ISP and I think almost all the subpoenas are going to them, I rather not take my risks. I don't want to change ISP's because Verizon is the cheapest broadband in my area. Only $34.00 a month compared to over $40 for most, or even $50. I know its slower than cable, but because I live in a metropolitan area, ahem NYC, and because my shitty building does support it, I cannot get a cable connection. But then again its $34.00

Yeah, I am chicken. I am sorry to say. I am gonna wait until they stop serving up lawsuits, and the shit hits the fan in the media, that they are ruining the people's lives whom they sue. When little 11 year old Cindy-Loo gets sued for thousands of dollars, and her parents aren't able to pay, then we'll see something happen. I am also waiting for more secure sharing programs, because this one basically throws my IP address all over town. I mean I even went into the chat room, and it was saying next to my name exactly what ISP I was using, etc, where I was from, what state.

I noticed most of the people saying "We are Chicken" and yelling at people like me spell things a little differently. They will say "honour" or "theatre" and then they will use decimal points in place of commas as in "They can't sue 10.000.000 people!!!!". Hmmmm...Interesting....Not the American spelling. Could it be that these people HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF BEING SUED [yet] SINCE THEY LIVE OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, PERHAPS IN ENGLAND, OR CANADA?

I really hate what I am doing but I feel like I must to protect my sensitive ass from being raped.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Do you really think RIAA is gonna sue everyone on the net sharing their files???
    If they tries that they'll probably go bankrupt, not to mention the damage from the media. 20% of US households have ADSL of some sort, how many people do you think are sharing illegal files? take a guess.
    How many mp3 sites are on the net?

How many of them have been sued by RIAA? 100? 1000?

So, what's your chance of been sued? 1 in a million? take a guess.

Chances are sharing will be made legal before you get sued.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Who uses decimal points instead of commas, I don't think anyone does, it'd just confuse!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Jeez there are some paranoid people out there I don't understand it?? what were you doing before that you arn't now??? nothing no difference. your jsut letting those RIAA bastards with their scare tactics win

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    So you only think you will get into trouble for sharing copywritten material but not downloading it?
    The RIAA is no excuse for leeching, if the fear of legal action upsets you that much-dont use P2P.
    As with all things illegal there is a chance you will get caught. In this case the probablity of that happening is in the millions.
    And before you ask, yes I am from the UK and the RIAA are not that much of a threat at the moment. But if I am caught I fully understand the consquences of my actions. But till then........

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Get off kazaa lite then,downloading is illegeal too and we dont need leeching assholes.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I am sure the RIAA will sue some people. I personally think mostly as a scare tactic. I am sure they know they can't stop filesharing. But they know they have to do something. So they will flash some big numbers in the papers in attempts to get people to stop.

What they should be doing is figuring out a way to win back consumers. For me that means stop with the prices already. I have found CD's that cost $21.00. That is just absurd. They like to claim the average price is $12.75 I think they are a little skewed. It should be closer to $14 or $15.

But hey do what you want.. Just remember.. If no one shares.. no one downloads.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    It should be closer to $14 or $15.
    lol god what country are you refering to its $30 here and $10 jsut for a single

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Listen, this will all be solved soon enough. There is a possibility that action could be taken against you if you share files. However, most likely, the issue of filesharing will not be resolved by either side. In the end, the government will create legislation to tax the ISP's for lost revenue in the industry, because a majority of their profit comes from people whom share files. Those taxes will not be absorbed by the ISP, but instead will come from you, the subscriber. Personally, I think they are on a witchhunt, and Kazaa/fasttrack is dangerous territory right now. None the less, if you fear getting caught sharing then don't use the network. Becoming a leecher doesn't help us or them.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by abigspidermonkey@22 July 2003 - 16:21
    downloading is illegeal too
    No it's not. Sharing copyrighted material is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast