Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is All Of This Crap Running In Xp?

Poster
    I know a chunk of this stuff is for XP and a few devices, but it sure looks like a lot, compared to Win98-SE.

Some items that may need to be running:
    - GeForce4 MMX 440
    - USB 2.0 drivers
    - ATI TV Wonder capture
    - HP multimedia keyboard (HPMMKBD.EXE)
    - DSL
    - Office 2000

My StartUP directory is empty. My MSCONFIG Startup is very clean, except for a few neccessary XP OS components. I used AdAware.

My PC loads immediately when I turn it on, but a lot of major Windows components don't activate until a few long minutes later, such as Internet Explorer, DSL Log on, Device Manager, etc.. this only happens one time, that is, the time when the PC is actually powered up.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You could try going to Black Viper's Web Site.
    It has a guide to what services are essential and what services can be turned off.

http://www.blackviper.com/

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    your CPU usage level is at zero percent in that picture.

i doubt you have anything to worry about.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    most of those system processes all need to be running, maybe a few could be turned off. Some if u try to end them, will force a restart, depending on what it is.... system process wise.

i would be curious as to what dell oem crap you are letting ur system run... odds are if it comes preload by the manufacturer, i could very well be turned off, or gotten around.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@23 July 2003 - 00:35
    .....i would be curious as to what dell oem crap you are letting ur system run... odds are if it comes preload by the manufacturer, i could very well be turned off, or gotten around.
    I don't have any DELL products on my PC. I built my PC myself. But I think you are right, most of those processes are needed (compared to a clean install of XP).

-Thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@22 July 2003 - 23:35
    i would be curious as to what dell oem crap you are letting ur system run... odds are if it comes preload by the manufacturer, i could very well be turned off, or gotten around.
    either he installed from an OEM Windows disc that was intended for a Dell computer, or he's just trying to confuse us by making his user name "Dell Customer."

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+23 July 2003 - 10:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 23 July 2003 - 10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Schmiggy_JK23@22 July 2003 - 23:35
    either he installed from an OEM Windows disc that was intended for a Dell computer, or he&#39;s just trying to confuse us by making his user name "Dell Customer." [/b][/quote]
    The reason why I use "DELL Customer" as my PC name, is that if I used my real name &#39;&#39;John Smith", there may be the slight chance that I would have a "copied" program on my computer and inadvertently register it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I use Black Viper&#39;s site to check for services that I could disable, but I still had some unknown programs running in the background. I found a list that tells what they are at answersthatwork.com. Here is a sample :
    HpmmKbd
    HpmmKbd.exe

(Hewlett-Packard)
    Hewlett-Packard’s multimedia keyboard driver which enables the end-user to use the automation features of the HP multimedia keyboard.

Recommendation :
    There are a few reports of conflicts with some applications.&nbsp; If you are trying to troubleshoot unexplained problems, disable using Startup Manager.
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pa...es/tasklist.htm

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Friggin&#39; Bill Gates has slyly integrated some of those services so that they have to run otherwise some vital services may fail.
    many can be disabled but there seems to be a price you have to pay.
    Go to Black Vipers web page.

I hate XP&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    It&#39;s like Adware/Spyware that you have no choice but to use.
    I&#39;m seriously thinking of going back to 98 or me.

I just don&#39;t understand how so many people on this board like it.
    They must not know what&#39;s really going on&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Sorry ...double post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast