Thread: Real Alternative 1.1 Not Working.

Hi,

I am trying to play a real media file from this webpage using media player classic:

http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.j...prgDate=current

I noticed that it is a .smil document. I read somewhere that media player classic can't play embedded content on all systems yet.

Can I play the .smil file in some other player? How do I do that? I HATE Real One Player and would like to avoid it at all costs.

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Just did some tinkering. I can play the file if I right click on the link and choose "save target as" and save the file to my desk top. This is a bit of a pain but will live with it as long as I don't have to use Real-One which is more of a pain.

I am curious if there is an easier way or another player I can use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    It looks like it's not really a media file, only a link or playlist pointing to the site somehow.
    The filesize is only about 400k so it can't contain much music.

This is the contents of that .smil file >>

<smil>
    <meta name="title" content="Morning Edition - Tuesday, July 22, 2003" />
    <meta name="author" content="http://www.npr.org/" />
    <meta name="copyright" content="2003" />
    <body>
    <audio src="rtsp://real.npr.na-central.speedera.net/real.npr.na-central/me/20030722_me_02m1.rm" title="Bremer to Update Lawmakers on Iraq Reconstruction - Morning Edition - Tuesday, July 22, 2003" author="http://www.npr.org/" copyright="2003" />
    </body>
    </smil>
    If you can get that URL to work with opera or mozilla firebirds leech option, then you should be able to save and convert it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I dont think real alternative is quite ready to replace realplayer as a better alternative to realplayer. I uninstalled realplayer and tried to go with real alternative but it has problems with embedded content. Then when I installed realone again it wouldnt work. I had to use tweak xp to clean out my registry just to get it to work again.

Real alternative should be in beta stage and even though the poeple who put it out clearly let you know in the read me file that it doesnt yet support embedded content, its still a headache when you have to reinstall realplayer because of that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    well actually id dont think that the linke was embedded, it was just a link to dowload the smil file cause real alternative works for me and plays embedded media in both mozilla firebird and IE.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by cpumaster1@23 July 2003 - 00:51
    well actually id dont think that the linke was embedded, it was just a link to dowload the smil file cause real alternative works for me and plays embedded media in both mozilla firebird and IE.
    What Ive not been able to get to work and what I was initially reffering to regarding real alternative is simple html authorization with real player embedded media files. the ones where you click the media link and it prompts for uname and pwd.

And quite frankly that problem should not arise if they claim the app to be an alternative to realplayer it should be able to do whatever realone player is capable of, minus the excess crap that realone has.