Thread: Looking for specific newsreader functionality

Hi All,

I started with newsgroups by using Grabit, but recently switched to alt.binz because of its additional features. However, I still feel that there could be a better reader out there for me.

Here's my setup. I use 2 news servers (one free and one provided by my ISP). The one provided by my ISP has better completion, but caps my download to 2 threads @ about 22kB/s per thread. The other one isn't capped, and I can usually max out my connection speed, but it can be flaky at times, both with down times and with completion.

Basically, I would like to use both servers concurrently to download a file. However, with alt.binz, it seems that whenever I use both, I still get incomplete files. What I would really like is to say "download these files with these two servers (x and y), but if the files are incomplete, then download the incomplete parts with server y (the slower but more complete server). I.e., download the most you can with the faster server, then fill in the holes with the slower server (and if the faster server is down or can't max out my connection speed, then use the slower server to also download).

Also, I haven't figured out a way to download different files with different servers (like you can with Grabit) without changing the overall system settings. Also, I can't figure out a way to download multiple files at one time. All the connections will only download the first file in the queue. I would like this so that if I know the file isn't on one server, then I can devote that server's connections to another file and download it with the other server.

Is there anything out there that can do all this (or come reasonable close )?

Thanks,
    Jon

Ok, ignore the first question. I figured out that I had the servers configured wrong. I ended up setting up the first srever as a primary and the second as a backup, then added the second as a primary as well (underneath the first). That seems to work.

But what about my other questions? Can I do this in alt.binz?
    Last edited by chooch; 12-08-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Jimi...'s Avatar Mister Subtle
    Have you tried Newsleecher?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ..:: c.R ::..'s Avatar Φ MySpace_SuK(s
    Chooch,

i see your current setup and think that you would most benefit from NewsRover. Granted, they are not free and your current setup seems to be all about "free" - so it might not be your best option but you will always get what you pay for.

Good luck.
    "Of the delights of this world, man cares most for sexual intercourse. He will go to any length for it-risk fortune, character, reputation, life itself." -Mark Twain

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks, I will look into these two!