View Poll Results: BT - What do you think ? Will BT die ?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • In 5 years

94 30.62%
  • In 10 years

68 22.15%
  • In 20 years

13 4.23%
  • Huh ? BT... ? ( me NOOB )

12 3.91%
  • What ? Get lost - NEVER !!!

120 39.09%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Will BT die ?

MODERATION BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    10 years may be a farce.

With major ISPs such as AT&T and Comcast already throttling or eliminating the use of bittorrent on their lines altogether, it would seem that the bittorrent ship will sail sooner than many people had originally thought.

I'd wager that in 5 years, most countries service providers will have eliminated it almost completely.

Believing that bittorrent will still be in widespread use in 20 years is just silly.
    Hmm... An good answer.. But better tech will replace BT.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I think the ISPs are going to loose this battle, as more and more users complain. A lot of legitimate things use BT, like for Linux distribution. These images and sources are very large, and BT is being used to help with bandwidth costs. Just one example, but I doubt an entire group of users such as linux users are going to just roll over and start paying to host these large (and getting larger btw) files themselves. BT is here to stay, and the ISP's will loose when this battle really starts to get going.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    IceTee's Avatar Fo'shizzle my nizzle BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by HMthePM View Post
    Hopefully not, but all the anti-piracy groups are geared up and 2 of the best trackers are already gone.
    And another 4 (at least) are on its way to replace them.
    Hydra baby there's no stopping us

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Not gonna happen next 10 years

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    fOrUmAs's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    everything what begins have the ending...but the ending can be in 5-10-15 years from now..until that we will enjoyed

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    I think the ISPs are going to loose this battle, as more and more users complain. A lot of legitimate things use BT, like for Linux distribution. These images and sources are very large, and BT is being used to help with bandwidth costs. Just one example, but I doubt an entire group of users such as linux users are going to just roll over and start paying to host these large (and getting larger btw) files themselves. BT is here to stay, and the ISP's will loose when this battle really starts to get going.
    Bittorrent only hurts the ISPs via enormous bandwidth usage. There is no advantage for them, even if you're looking at total profits through a customer base.

If your ISP eliminated the use of bittorrent like AT&T has, would you disconnect your Internet in silent protest? Change carriers? What about when that one eliminates it after a year?

Service providers are all going to block bittorrent on their lines and that day is already here with some of the major providers. Your argument really holds no weight.

And yes, Linux users and others will roll over or they'll simply stop using the Internet. That's the major advantage that the ISPs have is they know that users are not going to simply stop using the Internet. You'll pay for it and you'll use what they give you or not use it at all. And we all know the latter option isn't very realistic in this day and age. Besides, there are other valuable methods of hosting files other than bittorrent.

yo

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    bikernin's Avatar KatanaLover BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    you really cannot predict how things will turn out. on the one hand there are anti-piracy groups trying to shut down sites, on the other hand organizations distributing legitimate material over BT. the battle will go on, but the best should survive another 10 years atleast

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceTee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HMthePM View Post
    Hopefully not, but all the anti-piracy groups are geared up and 2 of the best trackers are already gone.
    And another 4 (at least) are on its way to replace them.
    Hydra baby there's no stopping us
    Actually there is.

The ISPs aren't attempting to cut off a tentacle, they're cutting off it's food supply.

yo

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    This thread makes me sad. Do you have any idea how poor I'll be if I, one day, have to pay for all the magical goodness I get off torrent sites?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    MODERATION BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Maybe BT will die, but new tech will replace it... as i said before.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast